confused on ratchet shifters

monte70car

now would a stock floor shifter be a ratcheting shifter? if your in low and bump it forward it goes in the next gear and so forth. the other ones you bump it forward the gear secltor goes to the next gear but the shifter stays in the same place. so wouldn't that make both a ratcheting shifter?

I think the ratchet effect is that it will shift into each gear like a stock floor shifter but it will not go farther wit than one gear each push in a stock shifter you can bump it from low all the way to neutral with one push, it just (Bumps)over each detent without stopping at each gear space. But with a ratchet shifter like the B&M quick silver you have to "click" it through each gear it will not ride through all the detents with out relaxing the shifter arm after it goes into each gear it will only go one gear at a time I hope that is explained well enough. Jjs

judge pretty much nailed it.

the stock shifter of the monte can go to any gear from any gear when you pull the release up.

my Hurst ProMatic shifter, you can only go one gear at a time.. there is no way to do otherwise.

in park pull up, and back, that's reverse

from R, let it drop down and pull back that's nuetral..

there is no ratchet action here, just the lift up and drop down action to prevent accidental shifting into reverse or park.

my 700r4 shifter works a little bit differently, i CAN downshift two gears at a time which is nice on the steet to make a 4-2 downshift to pass someone :>

but normally I'd pull back and release to get into O.D.. pull back and relase for 3rd.. pull back and release for 2nd.. pull back and release for 1st.

from Low 1, the only way back to park is back thru the ratchets.

push up and release for 2nd.

push up and release for 3rd

push up and release for 4th

push up and release for nuetral

then I can lift up and push forwad for reverse

lift up and push forward for park.

if I do it juuuuuust right I can get from nuetral to park in one move smile

a ratcheting shifter only shifts one gear at a time, and will not hit the next gear until you release it and hit it again, there are different types, some ratchet every gear, some like Tim's work a little different and only ratchet the forward gears. If you can push your shifter from first past second into third or even overdrive, then it's not a ratcheting shifter

Sam, the Judge, and Tim pretty much explained what a ratchet shifter is...the only thing I could add on top of what was already said is that on a ratchet shifter (which I have) no matter how hard you push forward when selecting the next gear you can only hit the next gear...you can not push it past the next gear you chose until you relieve the pressure that you are applying to the shifter...it has to reset itself for the next shift then you can ram it forward again.

I know Sam explained it but I'm just trying to explain it a bit differently... smile

Bill

the monte's stock shifter isn't considered a ratchet shifter, because you can pull up on the release and go to any gear at any time. .even if it's a bad idea... (like park or reverse while going forward not that I'd know about that whistle )

the stock shifter just has 'detents' to make it easier to 'find' the gear. i guess is the best way to put it.. w/o those detents it's a little tricky to feel the clicks of the trans quandrant.

some like Tim's work a little different and only ratchet the forward gears.

the 3-spd version of my shifter will ratchet either direction only one gear at a time. the double-downshift seems to be a 'feature' of the 4-spd shifters.