Carb choke question

Searsman

I have a number of spare Quadrajets from various years. One of the '72s with the slotted arm like yours has had the arm twisted so the top of the arm is closer to the carb than the bottom is. I suspect that was done because someone had the same problem you have. The top of the linkage slipped into the slot and jammed. I can see how twisting the arm a little could stop that from happening. 

Dan

• Like 3

If you have a numbers matching car it should have the correct carb to be complete along with the alternator, water pump, etc.

The safest thing to do is disconnect the choke until you get the correct carb. The slot and choke rod are compatible. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 1:43 PM, Searsman said:

Thanks Paul, I’ll have to check this out.. I’ve had the car 8 years and have been told the carb was changed sometime before then.. now I will do some meticulous research on whether i  even have to right Qjet. Ron….

Now that you know you have the wrong carb make sure you search for the correct build date to match your car.

Jeff Dotterer Dated parts in PA may be able to help you.

I have a professionally rebuilt 7040202 which is for 1970 300hp cars. It is probably jetted pretty close for a 71 BB but not correct for a numbers matching car.

Also, when you get the rigt one let me know if you need the correct choke assembly as shown in my attached pic.

As you know, your choke rod is not correct either.

Best20231127_095039.thumb.jpg.d1d79a2ed81787c3a5e7163b83c75c92.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Paul D Valle said:

Now that you know you have the wrong carb make sure you search for the correct build date to match your car.

Jeff Dotterer Dated parts in PA may be able to help you.

I have a professionally rebuilt 7040202 which is for 1970 300hp cars. It is probably jetted pretty close for a 71 BB but not correct for a numbers matching car.

Also, when you get the rigt one let me know if you need the correct choke assembly as shown in my attached pic.

As you know, your choke rod is not correct either.

Best20231127_095039.thumb.jpg.d1d79a2ed81787c3a5e7163b83c75c92.jpg

👍🏻 thanks 

5 hours ago, Paul D Valle said:

If you have a numbers matching car it should have the correct carb to be complete along with the alternator, water pump, etc.

The safest thing to do is disconnect the choke until you get the correct carb. The slot and choke rod are compatible. 

Correction : incompatable

On 11/25/2023 at 10:42 AM, overdrive said:

Ron, I believe your linkage is installed backwards, or it's the wrong one. Also, the hairpin style clip you have is incorrect. Changing it to a new one won't cure the problem. These photos are of my '71 carb. The '72 and later carbs used a slot for the linkage to attach to. The hairpin clip and a slot won't work well together. The hairpin clips are for round holes. The earlier carbs have just a round hole  and the larger style clip that I don't know the name of, but a hairpin is ok with them.

I think your linkage is going to hang up in that slot, no matter which style clip you use, unless the linkage is turned around. I'm not certain that would even eliminate your issue without seeing how it fits. 

Dan

20231125_092445.jpg

20231125_092330.jpg

Ok Dan I have a picture of yours and Dennis 71 linkage . Going to go from there.. and as pays says also , my

linkage is incorrect.. Dan, I am sending you a PM..