Carb choke question

Searsman

I’m sure the answer is somewhere on the boards , but I’ll ask anyway. Quadrajet 4 barrel on my 454, mechanical choke linkage. Was running full throttle from take off at somernites cruise , beat guy beside me by second gear. However, when I let off the gas pedal it barely slowed down !😱. Too high rpm for neutral so next step was to shut her down but I made it to a shell station a block away with brakes on. They were smokin when I finally got stopped and shut engine off in gear. 
Found the retaining clip ‘ pictured’ came loose jamming throttle down and choke almost closed. Got it back together before dark, tightened clips after I got home, seems ok. Is there any other method of securing this linkage other than replacing carb with electric choke carb???IMG_1746.thumb.jpeg.657d6a7c48ed3fc90133e1d949f44f76.jpegIMG_1752.thumb.jpeg.f3cc55abdc15e48ae9ddea27d6569b3c.jpeg

21 hours ago, Chevy Dave said:

I have converted to an electric choke and it uses the same type retaining clip. I would suggest trying to find a new retaining clip.

Wasn’t aware it uses same clips, no sense in me replacing carb style then . This choke works perfect and idles down at warm up too. Just wish there were a better way, a lot of damage can be done if one little clip comes off.. 

• Like 1

Haha that’s funny, would hate for it to happen to me again in 50 more years :)… seriously, maybe I can find some stainless steel ones , but not 100,000$ like in my back . ️ 

• 1 month later...

It appears that the choke is a for a small block car.

Big block choke rods and retainer clip is different . The clip is round and shouldn't hange up in the choke linkage slot. Will try to send you a pic if I can figure out how since I am new here.

20231120_142200.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 9:00 AM, Searsman said:

I’m sure the answer is somewhere on the boards , but I’ll ask anyway. Quadrajet 4 barrel on my 454, mechanical choke linkage. Was running full throttle from take off at somernites cruise , beat guy beside me by second gear. However, when I let off the gas pedal it barely slowed down !😱. Too high rpm for neutral so next step was to shut her down but I made it to a shell station a block away with brakes on. They were smokin when I finally got stopped and shut engine off in gear. 
Found the retaining clip ‘ pictured’ came loose jamming throttle down and choke almost closed. Got it back together before dark, tightened clips after I got home, seems ok. Is there any other method of securing this linkage other than replacing carb with electric choke carb???IMG_1746.thumb.jpeg.657d6a7c48ed3fc90133e1d949f44f76.jpegIMG_1752.thumb.jpeg.f3cc55abdc15e48ae9ddea27d6569b3c.jpeg

Also, it would be good to know if the carb and choke linkage is compatible.  Meaning the correct choke, rod and associated carb linkage which is intended for the Qjet model number. For example, a 1970 Qjet has a round hole for the choke rod connection not a slot as shown in your pic.

Hope this helps you find the correct solution to avoid a reocurrence of a stuck throttle.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Paul D Valle said:

Big block choke rods and retainer clip is different . The clip is round and shouldn't hange up in the choke linkage slot. Will try to send you a pic if I can figure out how since I am new here.

20231120_142200.jpg

Thanks Paul, I’ll have to check this out.. I’ve had the car 8 years and have been told the carb was changed sometime before then.. now I will do some meticulous research on whether i  even have to right Qjet. Ron….

4 minutes ago, Searsman said:

Thanks Paul, I’ll have to check this out.. I’ve had the car 8 years and have been told the carb was changed sometime before then.. now I will do some meticulous research on whether i  even have to right Qjet. Ron….

You welcome.

Let me know if you  need help with verifing the correct carb.

Need: year, engine and transmission (auto or 4 speed)

17 hours ago, Paul D Valle said:

20231120_142200.jpg

If you car is a 1971 big block with th400 tranny the correct carb number is : 7041204 unless it was a california car.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paul D Valle said:

If you car is a 1971 big block with th400 tranny the correct carb number is : 7041204 unless it was a california car.

Great!. Thank you , I’ll get the number off of this one this week while off work and get back with you to see if it’s compatible or comparable. If that’s ok.  The can is a Kansas City car . Appreciate the help Paul. Welcome to the site .

33 minutes ago, Searsman said:

Great!. Thank you , I’ll get the number off of this one this week while off work and get back with you to see if it’s compatible or comparable. If that’s ok.  The can is a Kansas City car . Appreciate the help Paul. Welcome to the site .

Happy to help you .

The slot in the choke linkage doesn't seem right to me for that year. Probably why wire clip got hung up creating an unsafe situation as you described.

• Like 2

IMG_2070.thumb.png.e567df5c03d58fc615a9ce2aaec7c6f7.pngIMG_2071.thumb.png.74dae09ad5d8c32c8316bb4b76edcac1.png

Thanks guys. I did some research on my own and came up with a 7041200 being the correct carb for my 71. Picture included.

however, as I said , I got the number off of the existing carb and it certainly works good but the number does not correspond with the correct one. It is a 7044223 . Which indicates it was for a 1974 Chevy or gmc 454 standard transmission.. truck…  it doesn’t appear to be an 800 cfm carb as it doesn’t have a bulge on left Venturi. Stamped on the side  is “ mfg by Carter for GMC. Could not locate any date stamp . How they got around the transmission part I don’t know , unless it has a different base.. what’s crazy is. It runs great. Except for the linkage problem. So, I’m not sure what type of linkage arrangement the proper carb would have. The 7041200. I’ll try look at one online and see. Any input, let me know, Ron…

PS. So I’m thinking I need to check on those different clips for the linkage that Paul posted a picture of. 👍🏻

Thanks Dennis, same clips as mine. I may switch to the proper number carb tho. But now I know it must have been a fluke they came off due to old parts . Don’t know why they put different carb on, unless this one was just laying around . It doesn’t look new . Hopefully I car find correct replacement, thanks for everyone’s help.. Ron… 

I plan on replacing the carb with the original number, 7041200, . At a later date hopefully. Least expensive one I have found rebuilt is 549$ plus tax and shipping. Ugh.

so , in the meantime seeing this one one the car is preforming fine I will order some new linkage clips . Found some on my log splitter I think should hold it pretty good 👍🏻. Ordered those… 😂.IMG_2078.thumb.jpeg.b4a95420a650aa66fa5437e409ff29e6.jpeg

Be careful when ordering a rebuilt carb. The part number may be correct but there’s a good chance it’s a restamp loaded with cheap parts. You may be better off finding a complete “old” one and having it restored. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Be careful when ordering a rebuilt carb. The part number may be correct but there’s a good chance it’s a restamp loaded with cheap parts. You may be better off finding a complete “old” one and having it restored. 

I agree Dennis, that's what I did. Find a good core and a good kit. I had a mechanic friend rebuild it

• Like 1

Ron, I believe your linkage is installed backwards, or it's the wrong one. Also, the hairpin style clip you have is incorrect. Changing it to a new one won't cure the problem. These photos are of my '71 carb. The '72 and later carbs used a slot for the linkage to attach to. The hairpin clip and a slot won't work well together. The hairpin clips are for round holes. The earlier carbs have just a round hole  and the larger style clip that I don't know the name of, but a hairpin is ok with them.

I think your linkage is going to hang up in that slot, no matter which style clip you use, unless the linkage is turned around. I'm not certain that would even eliminate your issue without seeing how it fits. 

Dan

20231125_092445.jpg

20231125_092330.jpg

• Like 1