Dashpot?

John S

I think, someone will correct me if I'm wrong 

Carburetor idle stop solenoids are used to reduce idle RPM to prevent engine run-on when ignition key is turned off. They also were used to increase idle RPM when the A/C was turned on to prevent stalling. Dash pots slowed the closure rate when throttle was released quickly.

• Like 3

Right that’s what I believe. The small pin at the end where the throttle stop makes contact will ease in if I snap the throttle back. I haven’t seen many of them. I wonder what the reason was why some cars got them and some didn’t. Maybe more common on manual transmissions.

19 hours ago, DragCat said:

I think, someone will correct me if I'm wrong 

Carburetor idle stop solenoids are used to reduce idle RPM to prevent engine run-on when ignition key is turned off. They also were used to increase idle RPM when the A/C was turned on to prevent stalling. Dash pots slowed the closure rate when throttle was released quickly.

@DragCat You are correct about idle stop solenoids, Mark. However, today's gasoline is much better quality than it was back in the day. If everything else is correct with the engine (timing, idle speed, spark plugs, etc), it would be unlikely that an engine would run-on when shut down. It's nice to have the idle stop solenoids for originality but not probably not necessary in actual use.

I've never seen one of the dash pots on a first gen Monte Carlo. Were they factory installed in some cases?

5 hours ago, TheBMan said:

@DragCatI've never seen one of the dash pots on a first gen Monte Carlo. Were they factory installed in some cases?

I can't answer that, only reason I remembered anything was a thread a long while back about them. From what I've read they are not reproduced. 

• Like 1