quarter glass vertical seal

any suggestions on a seal material that goes in the chrome channel between the chrome and the window itself? I have found rolls of glass setting tape but it seems that there are way to many different thicknesses to choose from!  if anyone has used this stuff or has a better idea let me know. I was looking for the pre-molded channel that goes in there but i could only find it in a $90 set that includes the chrome trim and i don't need the chrome.

Hey Terrence, I think someone here had used a bicycle tube, and they were happy with it after they trimmed it. I myself just had the glass guy use black silicone, same stuff they use for the front and rear windshields.

• Like 2

It sounds to me like if you’re looking for something that both seals and bonds the channel to the quarter glass, then Willie’s suggestion of black silicone window sealant is the way to go. Bond it, let it cure then trim any excess with a razor blade.

• Thank You! 1

1 hour ago, willie said:

Hey Terrence, I think someone here had used a bicycle tube, and they were happy with it after they trimmed it. I myself just had the glass guy use black silicone, same stuff they use for the front and rear windshields.

Willie, is that the butyl tape your talking about or actual black silicone?

Terrence he shot it out of a gun, did not roll it out. He shot it into the chrome collar and then inserted the glass, pushed the glass into the chrome for a min or so and then used a one sided razor to get all the excess off!   

Hope this helps

• Like 1

7 hours ago, willie said:

Terrence he shot it out of a gun, did not roll it out. He shot it into the chrome collar and then inserted the glass, pushed the glass into the chrome for a min or so and then used a one sided razor to get all the excess off!   

Hope this helps

It does! i will search out a glass shop and see if i can purchase something like that from them.

15 hours ago, Tmac said:

or actual black silicone?

Doubtful it's silicone. More likely it'll be a window grade urethane.

• Like 2

I am one of those who used a bicycle inner tube and it has been on  the car for 10 years. This is what is holding the chrome strip to the window and them the rubber strip is not held into the chrome by anything but a small tab on the rubber strip. That way they can be removed at a later date without any problem. Window urethane is a real pain in the arse to get removed.

• Like 4

Larry i thought the tube thing was a great idea when you originally posted that!  

Joe i wasn't sure if it was silicone or urethane, all i remember was watching him from the office as he had a large hand pump gun pushing the stuff in the chrome channel.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 7:53 AM, Leghome said:

I am one of those who used a bicycle inner tube and it has been on  the car for 10 years. This is what is holding the chrome strip to the window and them the rubber strip is not held into the chrome by anything but a small tab on the rubber strip. That way they can be removed at a later date without any problem. Window urethane is a real pain in the arse to get removed.

On 2/22/2024 at 6:36 PM, willie said:

Hope this helps

On 2/22/2024 at 10:18 AM, Marks71 said:

It sounds to me like if you’re looking for something that both seals and bonds the channel to the quarter glass, then Willie’s suggestion of black silicone window sealant is the way to go. Bond it, let it cure then trim any excess with a razor blade.

On 2/23/2024 at 2:19 AM, jft69z said:

Doubtful it's silicone. More likely it'll be a window grade urethane.

So here is my solution: I did find an older auto glass place and they recommended the glass setting tape or the liquid glass setting stuff like willie suggested. I did try the inner tube idea but mine was way to thick. I did the whole measurement routine to find the tape thickness i needed and came up with 1/32. so i ordered these from Summit: Worked very well, good snug fit  but didn't have to fight to hard. The 1/16 tape im going to use under the drip edge?? that holds the large window seal to seal it up to the roof.

Tip: my windows were already installed and i feel it would have been alot easier to put it on while the window was on the bench, then put the big rubber window seal on after the window was installed in the car.

Thanks for all the help and ideas!

setting tape 2.jpg

setting tape.jpg

• Like 3