AN fittings

wallaby

Hey there, I have a stock fuel pump and Q-jet carb and I think I'm going to use braided hose to do my fuel line. The last time I changed intake manifolds, it was a real pain to do all the 90 degree bends and double-flare hard tube.

I see this fitting : aer-fbm2107_m.jpg

and then what else will I need? I guess some sort of fitting at the fuel pump end and hose to go in between? I've never worked with braided hose before...is 6AN an ok size?

6AN will likely be fine, but you may want to step up to -8. -8 braided line will also clamp onto 3/8" nipples pretty nicely with a normal hose clamp if your fuel pump doesn't have screw-in NPT fittings. If the fuel pump does have NPT fittings, you will want to just use an NPT to AN adapter. Summit has them for around $5 or so.

The braided line is pretty easy to work with once you figure it out. The only part where people mess things up is they try cutting the fuel line and braid with tin snips or wire cutters or something similar. You really need to use a cutoff wheel or something. A dremel with those little cutoff wheels works perfectly. Also, wrap tape around the cut line before you cut it and it will keep the stainless braid from fraying.

Then when you put the braid into the end of the AN fitting, normally the AN fitting is a reverse thread as you push/screw it onto the braided line. Then just screw in the center part and you're done. Easy-peazy lemon squeezy!

you could run AN-4 with a Qjet and be just fine. the fuel feed passage into the qjet's float bowl is not even 3/16" inch.

AN-6 is fine.

a dob of Silicone Dielectric grease works great for getting those fittings on the hose too.

alright....I'm learning. It sounds as if braided hose behaves kinda like coax cable.

Now the problem is that my fuel pump has a big metal block on the underside that the pressure line comes out of. The pump does not have pipe threads: it has the female threads for a flare fitting. Now the question is what is that called? Is it a flare fitting, or an inverted flare fitting? I'm guessing it's inverted because it looks as if AN fittings that are flare have the pointy end on them like they are male.

I guess I'm looking for something like this?ear-991947erl_w_m.jpg

This one is 5/8-18 to -6AN and is the smallest size I could find for inverted flare...until they get REAL small for brake lines.

Could it be that the stock TUBE size is 3/8 and it goes through a fitting of larger size?

That's the fitting. Make sure once you have the fittings and and the hose assembled clean the inside up with brake clean or carb cleaner and blow the line out with compressed air. When you cut the hose it can leave rubber debris inside the hose which could end up in the filter or in the carb. Ask me how I know this? wink

David