tranny took a dump

Guest silent72

Guest silent72

i was going home getting on the on ramp for the freeway when the car just stopped moving like it was in neutral. bad day for me. could it be the filter is clogged? or do i have to get another transmission?

Is the fluid low?

When my tranny went it went slowly revving up like it was in neutral at times and then finally acted like it was half in neutral and half in gear.

Bill

Guest silent72

im just gonna end up getting a trans from the junkyard and putting it in myself. i dont have any money to get a rebuilt one or have mine rebuilt and getting it installed.

When my tranny went it went slowly revving up like it was in neutral at times and then finally acted like it was half in neutral and half in gear.

Bill

Exactly what mine did frown

if you are going to spend $200-$300 to buy a junk yard trans, have yours rebuilt!!!

There is a local shop here (same place that did my 700r4 and Dave's TH400) that does a TH400 for $425 out the door if you just bring him the trans and he doesn't have to R&R it

call around.. avoid the national chain places.. they charge too much.

Guest silent72

that sounds good. im going to call around and find out some prices. although i dont think the prices around here in cali are as good as over there.

Guest silent72

i talked to my friend, since i dont have any money at all right now, he said he'll go with me to the junkyard and pay for the transmission. im gonna have to do it this way and hope it'll last a while. the transmission has to be off another chevy right? i think i remember hearing that buick, olds, and pontiac have th350 transmissions but have a different bolt pattern when mounting to the block.

You are correct, but if you find one for cheap get it. Summit or Jegs sell a plate for pretty cheap to convert to the Chevy bolt pattern. Junkyard transmissions are gonna end up going out; might be a year might be a week... You'll definitely want to get it rebuilt whenever the funds allow. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest silent72

bought a tranny from my friend that he rebuilt long ago. it was sitting for years. payed $300. installed it on the weekend and it works. the only thing is that i think i have to replace a u-joint because i hear and feel vibration on the freeway. the u-joint did have a few bearings missing but i still reused it and packed it with grease. i didnt have any money for a new one. would the u-joint cause some vibration?

if you get a decent book that shows you how.. changing u joints is pretty easy, but I've found it easier to pay my local machine shop the $11 to do it for me :>