whys my 70 monte vinyl top have 2 trim strips?

Guest MusclecarBob

Guest MusclecarBob

whys my 70 monte vinyl top have 2 trim strips?

its like a double strip all the way around, was that an option?

i see others with just 1 strip around it?

i'm learning

Bob, this should really be posted in the restorers forum

our tops are called a "halo" top, there is a small strip of body color around it, early '70's had a "full halo" top where a small strip of body color showed between the windshield and the top, sometime during mid-'70 it was discontinued where the top came all the way to the windshield. All three years had the small strip of body color around the sides, if they don't, it was installed "aftermarket", even my (and Rob Peters) painted roofs are the same, the painted roofs used the same trim as the vinyl covered roofs.

if you go to the tech section, and "HOW TO TELL THEM APART" towards the bottom of the page, there is a couple of pictures

Guest MusclecarBob

sorry bones

will list these questions in the correct forum from now on

i see now on the vinyl top

I agree with almost everything Sam said with the exception of the timing. My car is a late 70 out of the Baltimore plant and it has the full Halo. My car was produced in June/July 70 timeframe. The time a particular plant switched from the full halo, with the paint visible between the trim and the windshield, had more to do with when they were running out of the full halo trim and had received their trim for the 71 model year.

The only other point of clarification not mentioned in Sam's post is that the same "Vinyl Top" trim was used on the two tone painted cars to separate the two colors.

Rob

The only other point of clarification not mentioned in Sam's post is that the same "Vinyl Top" trim was used on the two tone painted cars to separate the two colors.

Originally Posted By: Bones
even my (and Rob Peters) painted roofs are the same, the painted roofs used the same trim as the vinyl covered roofs

yes I did lol