Fuel System

Chevyss

I know this subject has been beat to death, but I need some serious help. I keep loosing fuel pump. Some people say I need to run a return line to the tank and some don't. I need to get this issue resolved. I'm on my third pump and I'm almost scared to take the car out of town for fear it will crap out on me. Right now I'm running a AC Delco pump that I bought when I bought the crate motor. Everyone at the dealership says they've been selling these pumps for years and have never had problems with them. So, they've warranteed them each time, but this doesn't correct the problem. All I need to know is, what will it take to fix it so I can run the car on the street, take road trips, and run it at the strip. I wish I has someone local who has monkied with electric pumps to help me. I keep running into Mopar guys who know nothing about Chevys. Is there somewhere I can go to get information on a set up that will solve my problem? I have two issues with the car and I've eliminated one by replacing the steering column with a rebuilt one to stop the starter from staying ingaged. Now I just have this one issue to deal with. frown

Royce the only think I can say is buy a different type of elec. fuel pump. We are running a Mr. Gasket elec. pump which we picked up at pep-boys. The Mr. Gasket pump is nice and quite and keeps about 7psi. when the pump is on and motor runner. The Monte runs a summit style pump and it keep 7psi. no issue with either pump. A return line will keep the pump from working its self to death which I think yours are doing. Is your 502 a gen V motor or is it a gen VI?

Thanks Allan;

I think I'm going to do a complete overhaul of the fuel system. New tank, lines to and from the engine. I'm at a handycap since I live in a retirement park and have no facilities to work on it myself. I have to rely on someone else to do it for me. I do believe that my local GM dealer can do it, but 80.00 per hour gets kind of steep. I've always used mechanical pumps before and never had any issues, but since this 502 does no have a fuel pump boss, I have no choice. I'll keep it posted on the progress as it goes along. Thanks again

I ran a "Holley Blue" pump with a regulator and no return line on my 502 for several years with no problem...it's definately better to have a return line like Allan said which is what I have now...not sure what your problem could be... confused

Bill

Concensious is return line. Thanks again Bill and Allan.

I will work on this issue next week with my buddy mechanic. It's &(&( when you don't have your own garage.

I would try a different brand or pump, I too ran a holley pump with a deadhead regulator for years without issue, but also as Alan said...a return is much easier on the pump, you shouldn't need to replace the tank to add a return, and make sure the return line is at least!!! the same size or larger!!! than the supply line.

I was having the same problem. I went through 2 of the Holley blue pumps and the 2nd pump only had about 7 hours of run time. So, I just put a mechanical pump on the car yesterday so I won't have to worry about it anymore but I see you don't have that option. I wasn't using a return line but there are many different opinions on whether or not that will help. Good luck but I just don't know.

I actually ran a Mallory Comp 140 which just about everybody has good luck with and says is the most quiet pump and it was pumping so much that it would actually heat up my fuel! It ran fine and never had supply issues but one day I stopped to refill my gas tank and I felt the fuel cell and it was almost too hot to touch. My engine temp had been climbing too, but when I filled the cell with new COOL fuel, the engine temp would come back down but slowly creep up until I needed to refill the tank. This sounds retarded and crazy I know. I just replaced that pump with a high flow mechanical pump to see if that fixes my heating issue.

Also, I have a friend with a blown 454 who is running a holley electric pump dead headed and his fuel pressure will go to 1psi if driving around in town where you don't use much fuel. The pump just heats up the fuel until it vaporizes it. Once you start using more fuel and get it moving through the pump like at cruise speed, the pressure comes back up. The return definitely helps.

Hello to all, thanks for the information. I ordered a Mallory Comp 140 today. Comes with pump and regulator. This should fix my problem. Thanks again.

Now I have two new pumps for sale. Summit and an AC Delco. Anyone interested. They are still in the box.

Scott, when you were running that electric pump and had the heating issues were you running a return line, I forget? I'm just trying to understand how your fuel cell was getting hot.

I wish I would have felt my fuel line when I was running my Holley Blue dead head style...I just would like to see if the fuel was getting hot...guess I'll never know now. My latest set-up is flat out cold to the touch, if you grasp the fuel line you can feel the massive amount of fuel being pumped up and back through the return line.

Bill

Yeah Bill, WITH a return! I know it sounds crazy. I even measured my back pressure on the return and it was only 2 psi at full flow. If my cell wasn't aluminum and where I could touch it easily I would have never noticed. I ran -8 aluminum line for both supply and return. with the Mallory regulator, and the Comp 140 pump. I think that the pump was just pumping so much more fuel than I was using that it acted as a small heater and just circulated the fuel using it as a cooling medium until the fuel was hot. No idea if I'm right or not though. Strange.