mechanical vs, electric

Guest jordanthegimp

Guest jordanthegimp

So ive decided to get the 350 block machined and just build the engine myself.So as for water pumps , are electrics worth it for a majority street driven car?

-JOrdan

I know some guys that run them, I personally don't. I always wondered how much power you would gain going with an electric pump considering that for a street driven car you would need a big honking alternator to meet your electrical requirements.

I went electric and love it. Of course, like Allan said, once you go electric on the water pump, it opens up a relm of new things needed to compliment the one electric pump. My decision was based on everything going electrical. I have a sub panel in the engine compartment which runs 7 items(elect fuel pump, elect water pump, rad fans, trans cooler fans, booster vacuum pump, ignition, and forgot the last one, all with their own fuse.

Mike is right about the alternator. I run an advertised 175 amp / rated 158 amp alternator.

Best part, now I can climb in the engine compartment when I want to and work on stuff.

Its personal preference...it depends on how much your using your car. Some of the articles you read say you can add up to 10hp by eliminating pulleys. I run a CSR electric pump with no issues (draws very little) for last 2yrs and the car doesnt run hot. I like the clean look which is why I relocated the alternator down low as well.

I run a CSR electric pump on my Malibu. No issues for twelve years. And here is the coolest (no pun) is this. your at the track on a light night. A run every ten minutes. Between rounds just keep the car off, turn the pump and fan on, and watch the temp drop. On the street, never an issues.

Andy

I think the claims of HP gains are bogus personally. On an engine dyno, they aren't using an alternator so its resistance isn't measured. If you are performing the same amount of work, with pretty much the same amount of resistance on the parts as far as the actual water pumping, the power needed to do that should be the same. In the case of switching from a mechanical source to an electrical, you are just converting the energy from mechanical (at the actual pump), to electrical at the motor, then back to mechanical at the alternator, plus you are adding some wasted energy in the form of heat created by the alternator.

I have not done any googling, but I would like to see a legitimate test done on a chassis dyno to see if there is really any difference in power output with the alternator running and no other changes made.

Just my $0.02.

They DO look WAY cooler however, and I really like the option to run the water pump and electric fan between rounds--that is awesome!

They DO look WAY cooler however, and I really like the option to run the water pump and electric fan between rounds--that is awesome!

Agreed on the looks which is one of the main reasons I got it and I have the pump and fans on seperate switches to run it between rounds.

I think the claims of HP gains are bogus personally. On an engine dyno, they aren't using an alternator so its resistance isn't measured. If you are performing the same amount of work, with pretty much the same amount of resistance on the parts as far as the actual water pumping, the power needed to do that should be the same. In the case of switching from a mechanical source to an electrical, you are just converting the energy from mechanical (at the actual pump), to electrical at the motor, then back to mechanical at the alternator, plus you are adding some wasted energy in the form of heat created by the alternator.

I have not done any googling, but I would like to see a legitimate test done on a chassis dyno to see if there is really any difference in power output with the alternator running and no other changes made.

Just my $0.02.

True to an extent. The alternator can only put out its regulated voltage. If the alternator is spinning at 17000 rpm at a 6500 shift point, I do believe the parasitic draw would be more than having a mechanical over electric water pump. The idea that you can never use the amount of amperage the alt can supply. Unless you race with 2600 watts of stereo bumping an old Beasty Boys tune, like No Sleep Til Brooklyn.

Don't make me bolt on a belt driven water pump to see if the car runs slower grin

I think the advantage in HP depends on engine speed. With the mechanical pump being literally tied to the crankshaft, there will be times when engine speeds are slow and the pump doesn't move much water, and times on the highway when it requires considerable power to spin, and times at the dragstrip when high rpm can spin the pump beyond its ability to pump. (cavitation).

With an electric pump the pump speed remains constant regardless of engine speed. If the electric pump works best at 1600 rpm, then they build it with a 1600 rpm motor and forget about it; It will forever be working at its best. The alternator will still have to keep the battery charged to keep up with added demand, but for an all-out effort at the strip you can unplug or switch the alternator so your pump (and everything else) runs on the battery until you have finnished your run. You end up with zero drag on the engine and your waterpump is still working.

My question is; if the electric pump is better, then why aren't new cars using them? I would expect an increase in mileage using an electric pump, so you would think it's a detail the makers would employ...

I can only conclude that there must be an issue with longevity or relability?