Need a new Tranny .. Suggestions?

Well after much swapping and rebuilding (with little success) I have decided that it is time for a new tranny. I am not really looking for an overdrive, just a good th350 or th400 that will work well with a 383 (around 410 hp) with a 4.55 posi rear.

TH350 or TH400?

Recommend a brand?

Recommend a good source?

I will be heading to Super Chevy in 2 weeks (Maple Grove PA). Anyone buy one at a Super Chevy Show?

Thanks!!

Mike

Mike, I have both TCI stuff and B&M. I had issues with three of them and I can say that TCIs customer servive was awesome, B&Ms is horrible.

I had a leaking pump on the TCI, and they were awesome sending a replacement pump. The B&M had a crack in the pump housing and refused warranty for three months until I got my lawyer involved. Trying to get someone on the phone at B&M was an act of congress itself. The Malibu had not even been driven when it was pouring out fluid. They used the old "no warranty on race cars" So much for a TH400 Street/Strip trans.

Andy

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input!

Allan, excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a 2004R? What did it come out of and what would it take to put one in my car? I don't see any listed in the Summot catalogue.

Andy, what model TCI trans did you get? I was considering the Supre Street Fighter TH350.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input!

Allan, excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a 2004R? What did it come out of and what would it take to put one in my car? I don't see any listed in the Summot catalogue.

Andy, what model TCI trans did you get? I was considering the Supre Street Fighter TH350.

Thats the one in my 71. Cost me $691 from Murrays Speed and Custom.

Thanks for all of the info and help guys. At this point I am going to try one more time to resolve the problem that I am having. I have located a local trans company that has a guy with 30 years experience in all kinds of transmissions. I will have him take a look at it and get his opinion.

Here is what my problem is: I took my old th350 with a bad output shaft, rebuilt it myself with a new output shaft and TCI rebuild kit with a shift kit plate. Since I have never rebuilt a trans before I bought the book on how to rebuild a th350 and followed it step by step as best as I could. I even installed new bushings and thrust washers.

Now to the problem. The trans does not pull out in first gear. From a complete stop it pulls out in 2nd then shifts fine into 3rd. Reverse works fine. I can use the shift lever to get it into 1st manually but when it is in 1st gear I need to give it gas to get it to move. When in 1st gear it behaves just like you are trying to move with the emergency brake on. In other words it takes some pedal to move it and stops quickly when you come off the pedal. That's the best I can describe it. If I were to guess I would say it has something to do with the valve body and the check balls. But that is just a guess. I just hate to scrap it because of the time and money already invested.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!!!