New Bottom?

FullMonte

Next project (after suspension upgrade) is changing the rear end in my 71. All I know is that it is a 10-bolt and it came with the standard 350/2bbl set up. Beyond that, I;m clueless.

I am assuming it is a non-posi, and I want to install a posi setup with gears that give me better juice off the line. I am sure about 100 of you have done this sort of thing. Any recommendations on what products to use, what ratios on the gears, and how much I can expect to spend?

You folks are terrific...like automtive consultants to those of us who are challenged. Thanks!

George

Here is what I spent on the rear laugh (12-bolt) :

Richmond Gears 3.73 ratio $150

Auburn Posi $350

Installation Kit (new bearings, etc.) $90

Moser Axles $250

Aluminum Differential Cover $150

Labor to set-up gears at a gear shop $200

HTH

George, going from a one legger to a posi diff is not cheap. I have a 10-bolt also and I put in an Eaton carrier, 3.73 Richmond gears, and an install kit that includes all new bearings and such to install the posi. I also put in Moser Axles. It's not totaly necessary to put the axles in, but I drag race and use cheater slicks which are basicaly slicks with thin grooves in them. They provide alot more traction at the track and with that puts more strain on your axles, so an upgrade was necessary for that reason. If all your doing is tooling around the street an hitting the drag strip once in awhile on your street tires, the stock axles should be fine. I ran the stock axles with the slicks for awhile but I was living on borrowed time there. Plus you have to look at horsepower also. If your running a bigblock or something with alot of torque, an axle upgrade would be a good idea also, whether your racing or just street cruising. My total install parts and labor were around $900 or so.

Jon.

Andreas,

e

Did you do the work yourself? My guess is you did. How much would I expect to pay to have someone else install everything? Also, were the new axles necessary?

Georg

I removed the rear axle from the car and took it apart completely myself. That's when I found the rear axles to be shot as well (serious galling on the bearing surface). I bought all the parts needed through mailorder and then brought the rear axle housing & parts to the gear shop. They set it up correctly and I dropped the prepared rear axle into the Monte... smile I would never attempt to set up rear gears by myself, too many special tools needed....

I have done it before, being a machinist helped as I had the tools. But for what little it costs to have someone that does it for a living set it up? I paid someone to set up the rear end in my Monte.

I setup one around 13-14 years ago while I was in automotive school, and it was a pain in the butt, and we had the right tools. I am going to let someone setup the one in mine when I ever get around to having it done.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, I will set-up those gears and posis for you I love doing it . It keeps that race fuel in my gas tank for drag racing. LOL Seriously If any one needs help or what one set-up let me know I have alot of used 12 bolt stuff and some 10 bolt 8.2 and alot of 8.5 and 7.5 stuff. I even let people come over and watch the set process if they want. I enjoy showing how things works to people. Makes them understand what really goes on in there and othe r components of the car. So FullMonte if I can help you I am here. email @ mitschke454@earthlink.net ...later, Jim