Do I need a trans cooler?

Mike Brichta

I am pricing out different transmissions to purchase for my car and most vendors are telling me (or suggesting) that I also purchase a trans cooler setup. I have never owned a trans cooler and am wondering why I would need one now. I don't race the car, only street driving. Do I need one? Is it easy to install?

It will go into my 72 monte which has a 383 (around 410HP) and 3.45 posi rear with a 220-2400 stall speed.

Thoughts?

Mike

I am pricing out different transmissions to purchase for my car and most vendors are telling me (or suggesting) that I also purchase a trans cooler setup. I have never owned a trans cooler and am wondering why I would need one now. I don't race the car, only street driving. Do I need one? Is it easy to install?

It will go into my 72 monte which has a 383 (around 410HP) and 3.45 posi rear with a 220-2400 stall speed.

Thoughts?

Mike

With the stall converter you should already have one Mike. The stall causes a lot of heat in most cases and can really stress the trans. It will take some load off the radiator too and should allow the car to run a little cooler and cooler is better. They are easy for the average wrench so I wouldn't hesitate if I were you....Dave grin

I have an external cooler on my Monte. The cooler lines run to the radiator, one line output( I think from trans) is hooked up to it, then from the top port on the radiator it runs to the external cooler on the front side of the radiator the to the return line for the trans. I believe you pick up an extra quart of trans fuild. If you go with a 700r4 or the 200r4 put in a trans temp gauge high heat kills alot of 700r4's. My setup runs 160° in 80° weather. My external cooler is an off the shevle unit from a local parts store.

You can find out for sure pretty easily. It costs more money, but I would recommend a tranny temp gauge. It is generally recommended that the tranny temp goes from 160-180 or so. Once you go above that, the fluid starts cooking itself and loses it's lubricating properties which in turn causes the transmission to eat itself. This is why it is good to replace your tranny fluid every so often--like once every year or two in my opinion.

My transmission runs 150-165 under cruise conditions on the highway, but in town can heat up to around 180, even with the cooler.

I would think you should add one.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some advice, If you plan on driving the car in the winter put the cooler in line with the radiator cooler. If you don't on extremely cold days you run the risk of not lubricating (cold Fluid). If its a warm weather driver just get one big enough and eliminate the radiator cooler plug it off.

• 2 weeks later...

unless you drive your monte in INSANELY cold weather.. you need not concern yourself with it being 'too cold'

the trans warms up just as fast, if not faster then the engine itself.