Looks like I need a new transmission...

amsterdam84

Drove to Canadian Tire this morning to pick up jack stands and when I started the monte up, I heard a lot of rattling coming from underneath the car. I looked but could not see anything and then the sound went away. I was afraid my bottom end was going but figured might as well drive home. Park in the driveway and peak underneath and I see a drop of fluid fall right away. Take a look on the passenger side and I have a oblong hole about an inch wide in the side of the tranny case where the torque converter is. Guess the shift kit took its toll.

Pic to follow.

100_1002.jpg

100_1003.jpg

No disrespect intended but I don't think the shift kit caused that--they usualy lengthen the life of the transmission. To me it looks like a torque converter bolt came loose and got launched or maybe a weight on the flex plate. I didn't look at your combo do you have an externaly balanced engine? But at any rate you are definatly correct that a new transmission is in order. Sorry for your misfortune, David

No disrespect intended but I don't think the shift kit caused that--they usualy lengthen the life of the transmission. To me it looks like a torque converter bolt came loose and got launched or maybe a weight on the flex plate. I didn't look at your combo do you have an externaly balanced engine? But at any rate you are definatly correct that a new transmission is in order. Sorry for your misfortune, David

You nailed it on the head. Torque converter bolt came loose and went through the case. Found another one laying in the inspection cover. I was able to get it back in but it felt very loose going back in so I think its time for some new hardware. Is it good practice to put threadlocker on these bolts? Probably a dumb question lol.

Originally Posted By: zmanabba

You nailed it on the head. Torque converter bolt came loose and went through the case. Found another one laying in the inspection cover. I was able to get it back in but it felt very loose going back in so I think its time for some new hardware. Is it good practice to put threadlocker on these bolts? Probably a dumb question lol.

couldn't hurt Mike.... grin

Originally Posted By: zmanabba

Probably smirk , I know where you can get a HD case if that helps. smile

Just need to be sure not to use too much heat. It is a cast case and can be welded but it takes a good welder not to make it more brittle than it already is.

I would weld it. What is the worse thing that can happen? It cracks and you have to replace the case. Same outcome either way. The timing is all that changes.

agreed....just for my own info what about an epoxy patch of some kind. It's not really a stress point, there's no pressure on the area, no heat problems, no leak issues...just wondering....Dave grin

well if epoxy is what your wanting to do you will need to stop drill the cracks "1/8th inch drill bit drilled into the ends of the cracks to prevent spreading wipe area clean with alcohol on bothe sides then epoxy the area using tape or some sort of backing to temperarily hold the epoxy there while it cures. then sand remaining amount away for clearance/appearance