Rear end help!!!!

ROMO

Hello everyone,

A few questions here on a 12 bolt rear-end. Its a open rear with 2.73 gears I want to install 3.55 with posi so my question is around how much to have it rebuilt and if anyone knows of a good shop in the Chicago land area. I can take them the car or I can remove it myself. What do you guys recommend? Thanx again.

Jim Mitschke is in richfield ohio... he's a club member and builds AWESOME rear ends.. Leo gets all his axles rebuilt by jim for customer's cars... I'm going to have him re do mine soon

he goes by "Monzaz" but isn't on the site too often.

J D Race & Restoration

Richfield, Oh 44286

330 659 7117

Jim Mitschke

J D RACE AND RESTORATION

Richfield,Oh

mitschke454@windstream.net

jdrace.com

I purchased my 3.55 gears, installation kit, and Eaton limited slip from ebay. I assume you have seen dirt track race cars at local transmission or engine repair shops. Stop and ask them who rebuilds rearends. You should be able to get someone to do it for $100-150. That is what I did and they did a great job.

Let me start by saying that not only am I a Master Mechanic, and I have owned my own shop, set up from scratch six years ago.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

There are no real specialty tools required to rebuild a 12 bolt other than a dial indicator and common sense. Get a Eaton Posi carrier and a gear set from Summit and we will go from there. Raetech sells an awesome install kit with all the bearings and seals you will need. You can get that from Summit as well.

It as simple as pulling the cover, pulling a pin, dropping the C Clips, popping the axles and dropping the carrier out. Pop the yoke nut off and beat it off with a brass hammer. Take your new inner pinion bearings and carrier to a machine shop and get them pressed on.

Sounds over your head? It shouln't. If this is the direction you want to go, say the word and I (we) will give you the rest of the story.

If a customer brings in a rear, or the whole car for that matter with all thier own parts, I charge $250 installed for everything, including installing new axle bearings and seals.

In my town, I am the rear end Masta, but I am not in Beantown.

Andy

look up sadler powertrain on ebay or google

they sell the eaton and others for about 100 $ less than summit.

and the good news is if you call summit they will match the price and give you the service you deserve.

just got mine last month no problem summits great.!!!

bob

You'll also need a spacer for the ring if you are running a 2 series carrier, which it sounds like you are with the 2.73 gears. The spacer basically allows you to run a 3 series ring gear (3.08, 3.23, 3.31, etc) in a 2 series carrier.

I just swapped out a 3.73 gear for an original 3.31 set up a week or so ago. I did have the help of my Dad and his friend though, who have a lot of experience with these things. Took us a few hours and works great. So it can be done on your own, but if you know someone with experience that helps too.

Ben

If you remove the Carrier from the Housing yourself, make sure you mark the caps that secure the pumpkin in the housing. They look very similar to main bearing caps with one on each end of the carrier and each secured with 2 bolts.

Very very important you don't get them mixed up as per side and orientation as they were machined and fit specifically for that location. If messed up, there is no other way to put them back as removed!!

Some use paint to mark on one end of cap and housing to identify exact location while some might put a stamp or marking onto cap and housing to differentiate between the two. A stamp ensures the next time you need to remove carrier, they are already marked for correct replacement. Basically, they must be reinstalled exactly as was removed.

The tolerances I'm sure someone can supply you once you decide what you will replace with. The Ring gear will have to be shimmed for correct lash with pinion gear. If not correctly alighned within specified tolerance, you are not going to like the result!

Take pic's when removing so you can reference them when putting back together. The tricky part is determining the correct lash.

OPENCARRIER.jpg

To remove Carrier you have to remove the pin that runs thru carrier shown as a black line on pic. Remove the bolt that holds the pin in place and slide out pin.

Push in each axle so that you can remove C-clips shown as yellow lines in pic. The C-clips hold axles in place.

Remove Caps shown as black lines in pic. You can now remove carrier from housing. Watch for any washers/shims that may fall when removing Carrier and make note of which side(s). Carrier is / should be a net fit. Pull it out slowly and evenly so as not to cause a bind. If a sloppy fit, you need to investigate further as should have only a few thousanths clearance side to side.

Check axles at location where they ride on bearings in axle tube for any wear or pitting. Simply slide axle far enough out from housing to inspect. If worn you should mic them to see how badly and if axle(s) need replaced. They make a repair bearing for a cheap fix but not recommended. If badly pitted, replace them. Inspect axle splines also for any abnormal wear.

Bearings and Seals shouldn't present a big problem for you to replace if you decide to do the work yourself.

Check bearing races for same types of wear.

Pic simply provides a view of typical internals and locations of key removal points..

To replace, just reverse removal procedure. Don't forget to replace C-clips, Carrier Pin and locking pin bolt!!! Make sure caps go on same side and same orientation as removed from!!!

This is not a complete tear down and rebuild instruction but will keep you from getting into trouble should you decide to do this on your own.

Plent of guys here to walk you thru it and taking lots of pic's to reference should make it a not to difficult project.

Of course, theres the lubrication of bearings and gear oil but should be self explanitory as you go.

I'm sure others will add some info I likely have left out and the best on your build.

I recently changed my 2 stage .273 to a .331 Posi with a total rebuild. Haven't installed it yet but within 3 weeks, we'll see if done correctly.

Doug

Wow thats alot of info...I like it.. Thanx guys. I dont think I'm brave enough to try it myself plus not that I have alot of money but at this time I have more cash than I have time I've been working from 12 to 1230 6 days a week and any free time I have which is not alot its mostly spent with the girlfriend.....Thank you again. You guys are awesome.