Horeshoe shifter

Monte72Carlo

Does anyone want to go through a walk through on what I need to do to convert my column shift car to a console car. I just bought the console and shifter for Leo (absolutely great guy to deal with) and need to know basically everything on how to install it as I cannot reference how it was previously put together.

Pictures are worth 1000 words smile

Thanks,

Garrett.

I found this but haven't qualifier it as correct. Hopefully it will give you a few ideas. Try searching the web for other posts on this task.

Bruce

buckets and console install on a Buick

The rear floor console bracket can be purchased from numerous suppliers and can be screwed in if a welder is not available.

The original disconnected shift lever (under hood) will have to be wired up. If you don't then the steering wheel will be locked if not in the correct position. You have to get a neutral safety switch in the console as the one on the steering column will no longer work. If you have specific questions you can send me a PM.

The link looks dead on and David has some good points too. Did you get the console wiring harness with the console? If so it should be a wiring "plug and play" and no issues with the neutral safty switch. The neutral satfty switch is on the floor shifter....did it come too?

These car's are near ready for any factory type conversion because they all came down the same line. The wiring connections should all be there because they are already part of every wiring harness and as stated in that link from Bruce, the floor is already "dimpled" where you should be drilling holes.

Steve

The Parts Place INC sells the backdrive assembly that controls the locking function of the steering wheel. Highly recomend it as opposed to wiring up the shifter bowl. This will let the car function as GM designed it. Info from their website below:

ST9836M

(1970 - 1972 Monte Carlo) SWIVEL & ROD ASSEMBLY - THIS IS THE LINKAGE THAT GOES FROM THE STEERING COLUMN ARM ON THE BOTTOM OF THE STEERING COLUMN IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. THE SIDE ROD ATTACHES TO THE ARM THAT ATTACHES TO THE SHAFT ASSEMBLY THAT PIVOTS ON FRAME. THE PARTS INCLUDED WITH THIS KIT ARE: ROD, SWIVEL ADJUSTMENT WITH NUT. THE ONLY WAY THE STEERING COLUMN LOCKS THE TRANSMISSION AND ALLOWS THE REVERSE LIGHTS TO FUNCTION. IT IS USED FOR CARS WITH FLOOR SHIFT AUTOMATIC OR MANUAL, OR COLUMN SHIFT AUTOMATIC.

$89.00