Roll cage

Chevyss

OK!! The search is on for a good roll cage kit. I've looked at Summit, but did not see any that looked to be what I would want to have installed. I looked at Jegs and they have so many to choose from and would like so opinions on the way to go. If I'm going it's going to be with a eight point cage. It should meet the rules in this area. Thanks in advance

If you know a trustworthy drag racing shop around your area like the one that done my 6 point bar they can build it from scratch.

The big key is someone who will take care of your shiney paint job. smile

If you know a trustworthy drag racing shop around your area like the one that done my 6 point bar they can build it from scratch.

The big key is someone who will take care of your shiney paint job. smile

I think I'd be more worried about your nice interior.... grin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NovaMonte

I'm a little late on the reply, but make sure you have the proper tools and skills for the installation. Not only do you want it to look good, but heaven forbid if you ever need it, you want it a top notch installation.

Years ago I bought a Jegs kit for a Nova I had. I'm pretty decent at welding, but the overhead and awkward positions made my work look horrible. I welded, cut out, welded again for 3 days straight. In the end, I threw it all away and went to a professional to get the job done right.

The only problem with a professional installer, is, there are they are few and far between. Seems all the builders are back east, or California. I've found one in BC and if I can work out a deal I'll haul it to him in the spring. I'd really rather get it done locally, but, and in the winter you don't want to be hauling it over the mountain passes. Guess I could ship it down to California.

Royce, first I would love to help you out so if you want to bring it down here I'll take care of it for you. Second the owner of the shop I would have do it has a brother in Washington, let me check with my guy and see if knows anyone he would trust to do your car...Davey

• 2 weeks later...

like chevyss, i also feel the kits that i've seen between jegs and summit seem to be sub-par. would there be a better chance at finding something better if i searched more in the area of "GM A-body" or "chevelle"??? for my project, i'd also like to include a roll cage, but want something decent.

ps. sorry for the slight hijack - just thinking out loud here.

pps. chevyss, show us pics when its all said and done!!!

like chevyss, i also feel the kits that i've seen between jegs and summit seem to be sub-par. would there be a better chance at finding something better if i searched more in the area of "GM A-body" or "chevelle"??? for my project, i'd also like to include a roll cage, but want something decent.

ps. sorry for the slight hijack - just thinking out loud here.

pps. chevyss, show us pics when its all said and done!!!

got mine at Chris Alston Chassisworks. Fit like a glove...

sounds nice and all, but presently southern cali is a bit out of range for me. shocked

but i guess mainly i was wondering if there were any decent kits out there that didn't require too much welding (not my forte). something that could be bolted in without too much hassel.

but i guess mainly i was wondering if there were any decent kits out there that didn't require too much welding (not my forte). something that could be bolted in without too much hassel.

sorry, any quality cage/roll bar will require welding, this is one area you don't want to skimp on, we're talking about your safety here no

I'd like to get opinions on what kit would be the best? I've kind of decided on the Jegs kit. As always, I like to poll the memembers for opinions. I like to only do things once. Not short cuts when it comes to safety. ditto Sam

I'd have to vote for the kit that Dave had installed in his Chevelle,it looks really good in the pictures and he seems to be very happy with it. I'm sure that you could have the same kit shipped to you and have a local shop weld it in. Just my two cents. Tom

I agree Tom. I keep in touch with Davey and see what he can get a kit for. I sure hope that I can get all the projects completed before summer. My regret is that I put all that new interior in and now it has to come out. Oh well!

sounds nice and all, but presently southern cali is a bit out of range for me. shocked

Dan if you want it to be legal it must be welded in. Whether you buy it from Jegs, Summit or someone like Chris Alston (they're in Sacramento) it's going to be shipped. A kit runs 100-130lbs depending on the kit. The Chris Alston kits are $300-500 depending on the options. I got swingout door bars, a removable back bar and the rear bars that loop over the back seat so it was the more expensive at just under the $500.

The kit I got is car specific so it fit very good but you're going to need someone with good welding skills to help you put it in. Nothing had to be bent, just cut and weld...

100_4732.jpg

100_4733.jpg

100_4734.jpg

100_4735.jpg

100_4709.jpg

100_4711.jpg

100_4717.jpg

all of the bar is now covered with padded matching vinyl...this is my 67 Chevelle but they have a 68-72 kit as well..hope this helps....Dave

When me and my buddy did our Olds Cutlass back in the late 90's we used a kit from S&W Races cars. They have the kits in Mild Steel EWS or DOM I assume the Monte and the Chevelle kit are the same?

EWS http://www.swracecars.com/store/8-Point-Roll-Bar-OSCARItem_27=11-1003.aspx

DOM http://www.swracecars.com/store/8-Point-Roll-Bar-OSCARItem_104=11-1003-DOM.aspx

All we had to do was final fitment and welding to the kit.

I thought I already suggested Chris Alston and linked to his page. Oh wait I did.....

Originally Posted By: Allan
Call Chris Alston.

I think they did the cage that Dave used. Good stuff and reasonable prices.

http://www.cachassisworks.com/iwwidb.pvx?;multi_item_submit?FORM_SELECT=C?CAT_LVL=0?CAT=ROLLCAGES?COMP=CAC

Maybe the problem is I didn't make the link hot and no one liked to copy and paste. HMMMMM, lets try it this way.

the page before this has the 8 point rollbar (frame cars only need 6 points), this page is for the cage. The rollbar can be updated to be this cage if you want to go faster than 10.00.....if you want a gage regardless then this is a good one.... grin

Bah, I say if your going to do it, do it once and do it right.

This is the lighter versions page: Street/Strip Roll Cage

Allan dear Allan, it has nothing to do with "doing it right". An 8 point rollbar is doing it right unless you have visions of running in the 9's. If you don't mind stuffing a halo in the headliner and running bars down the A pillars for the "look" then spend the extra $$ and put in a cage but it's not necessary....it is extra protection however if you don't mind the additional bars.... grin

thanks for the info guys! this thread sure did come to life this weekend. for me, i was more interested in the stiffening of the chassis with the cage. the added safety was more of a bonus. those links were helpful as well.

That is part of my reasoning Dave. The cage or bars are not to satisfy a ruling sanction for me. If I am to be putting it in because it is deemed to be 'Required" in order to insure my safety, then I want to be as safe as I can afford to be. Granted, there is risk in everything but putting a "safety device" in my car just for looks would be quite stupid.

Allan I know you wouldn't do that, I meant "you" in the generic sense..... grin