To re-fresh, or not to re-fresh.

680HPStroker

My AED Pro-Street 1050 Dominator carb has been on my engine for three years. It isn't giving me any trouble, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to send it back to AED and for $195.00 they will freshen it up for me and install three new updates(AED is only 90 minutes up the road). How they could have improved on their dominator carb that performs well on the street is beyond me. This would be for piece of mind more than anything else. Any thoughts on this?

I had a similar deal with my home heat/AC unit. For $100 they came out to do an inspection and tune-up of the unit to insure peak performance. Hey! That sounded like a good deal.

The guy came out, removed the air filter and proclaimed it to be in good order...he then looked inside the burner area and determined that gas was flowing ok. He put some oil on some moving parts, and handed me the bill for $100.

Geez...I do all that stuff myself. I thought he would have something extra to do that needed test equipment or meters or something. I'll just keep an eye on it and call them when I see something wrong.

For piece of mind it's not a bad idea...if you have the cash.

Mark....my buddy is an AC/heat mechanic..I do my own tune-ups and repairs on my boiler but he came with a gauge that told him how efficient the boiler was for adjusting the air mixture.....

Steve

I guess I'm just a skeptic. I'm trying to imagine what could go wrong or need improving with a carburetor that seems to function well. I guess it's true that sometimes there might be an upgrade to something better, but it usually amounts to replacing a plastic float with a brass one or verse-visa, or an upgrade to a viton-tipped needle and seat assy.

I guess it could be something important, or a new piece that replaces a troube-prone part that hasn't given YOU trouble yet. (Geez, MY Pinto never bursts into flames...why would I need a new gas tank?}

I guess it all boils down to a better description of what they intend to do. It's just a little depressing to spend the money and have them tell you everything was fine, but as said earlier; the peace of mind has value and maybe you'll sleep better knowing it's as good as it can be.