shift light

CrazyDavey

Ok; here's a thought: I find it kinda annoying to have a large tachometer with a nice large sweep that only gets half used. Why do all the nice tachs have a scale that goes to 10-12 thousand rpms? My lumbering big-block awould probably grenade if it went over 6 thousand, so about half of the gauge face never gets used.

Is it possible to set the cylinder selector to 6 or 4 and get an artificial higher reading on the tach? I'm thinking that if I were running at an actual 5000 rpm, I could flip the switch to 4cyl, and the tach would display 10,000 rpm. If it were set for 6 cyl it would show 7,500 rpm. Does that sound right?

The idea is to get the tach needle to be close to the end of it's travel as the engine reaches it's maximum speed. All you need to do is paste new numbers on the tach face to make it accurate.

Does any of that make sense?

The way it is now, is like a fuel gauge that points to half when the tank is full.

Ok; here's a thought: I find it kinda annoying to have a large tachometer with a nice large sweep that only gets half used. Why do all the nice tachs have a scale that goes to 10-12 thousand rpms? My lumbering big-block awould probably grenade if it went over 6 thousand, so about half of the gauge face never gets used.

Is it possible to set the cylinder selector to 6 or 4 and get an artificial higher reading on the tach? I'm thinking that if I were running at an actual 5000 rpm, I could flip the switch to 4cyl, and the tach would display 10,000 rpm. If it were set for 6 cyl it would show 7,500 rpm. Does that sound right?

The idea is to get the tach needle to be close to the end of it's travel as the engine reaches it's maximum speed. All you need to do is paste new numbers on the tach face to make it accurate.

Does any of that make sense?

The way it is now, is like a fuel gauge that points to half when the tank is full.

Stewart Warner makes some low RPM tachs for you guys with grain truck engines and diesels.... 6k tach.

Autometer makes a bunch of 6k ones too. They are out there.

I'm just trying to make the most of what I have. I figured if I set my 10k tach on the 6cyl setting, it becomes a 7500 rpm tach.

That sounds about perfect.

the smalled 5" tach autometer (autogage) makes is an 8k i didn't know that when I bought my 10k

the only thing about using the whole sweep could be accuracy issues based on how fast that needle can actually swing thru the whole sweep.

There is a european supercar out there (I can't remember which one it is) they where saying on TopGear that it can change rev's so fast, that there wasn't an analog tach on the market that could keep up with it, so they designed an electronic one for it.

Mark, I know what you are saying. I didn't want a 10,000 rpm tach either but if you consider the control buttons take up about 20% of the face and the way I have mine rolled I can only see up to the 6,000 point from my sitting position so in my case it kinda worked out.

21979060107_large.jpg

72montepics1005.jpg

Small autometer tach mounted in a pod and a small autometer l.e.d. shiftlight mounted at the top of the a-piller. Easy to see even going down the track. I just watch for the light and shift away.

David

the smalled 5" tach autometer (autogage) makes is an 8k i didn't know that when I bought my 10k

the only thing about using the whole sweep could be accuracy issues based on how fast that needle can actually swing thru the whole sweep.

There is a european supercar out there (I can't remember which one it is) they where saying on TopGear that it can change rev's so fast, that there wasn't an analog tach on the market that could keep up with it, so they designed an electronic one for it.

That's the Lexus LFA......