shift light

CrazyDavey

picked up this little thingy from Summit for $80....it's a shift light with a digital readout adjustable in 100 increments. We've got the factory tach but it's a little hard to read and you really have to take you eyes off the track. We didn't want some big piece taken up a bunch of space or taking too much from the factory look so this worked out great...you can see all the gauges and the speedo....

100_5186.jpg

Pretty cool location...at first I thought it was covering the speedo but I can see now how the the numbers and dial will still be visible.

I'm guessing then that you shift manually? I always manage to foul up my times when I do that...my trans seems to know when to go to the next gear all by itself if I just leave it in drive.

Is that ignorance on my part, or is it possible the trans knows something I don't? Does ANYBODY racing an auto trans let the trans shift automatically?

Isn't there a governor in the trans that can be tailored to upshift when you want it, without having to resort to tachometers, shift lights, reaction times, and human input? (or air shifters)

I know that with my stock transmission, I can put the gear selector in LOW, and it will force an upshift to 2nd at about 5500rpm without ever moving the shift lever....no such luck from 2nd to 3rd however.

your're right Mark, it's the governor that can influence the auto shift points. Red likes to put it in drive and just go on the green. Right now we have it set up for 5400 in drive so it's comfortable for her. When I run it the numbers improve if the points are a bit higher so I need to manually shift it. I also put in the shifter mod from The Parts Place so it acts like a manual gate (no more going past 3rd into neutral). The trans is set up to be full manual once you pull it down into 1st so I can control all the shifts. I want to be able to run it in two different classes in the Summit series. To do that I need to "make" it run what I want it to by varying the shift points......

The shift light helps a bunch to not foul up the pass and in being consistent......

Mark, I played a lot with the governor you can get close but it all depends on the trans and fluid temp because the governor weights are working against the fluid pressure. I tried to get mine to shift at 6200 It seemed to bounce around betweeen 6000 and 6400.

Use a headlight. LOL

I guess if I HAD a tach, or a shift light, or floor shift I might insist on doing it all myself. It's pretty hard shifting manually with a column shifter and the seat of your pants.

My setup seems perfect. If I try to delay the shift point and go for more rpm, the engine seems to be at the cusp where it starts to lay down anyway. The trans does the shifting right where the cam/engine likes it. It does get a little boring though...while the car hurtles towards the other end, I adjust the radio stations to feel involved.

Does ANYBODY racing an auto trans let the trans shift automatically

I let mine shift automatically, I have tried shifting it and it was no faster on my particular set-up but definately more consistant if I let it do it by itself.

someone once told me they put a rag over their tach when they are racing so they would focus on the shift light instead..

using RPM's to pick your shift points is not a good way to do it.. the trans shifts based on output shaft speed (ground speed) not engine speed, torque converter slipage could easily effect your rpm @ shift points.

If I ever get my 700r4 to shift correctly on it's own on the street.. I might try it on the track.. but something to keep in mind, with the TH350 and the 700r4 (not sure about the 400, I just don't know that much about them)

they boost the hyrualic line pressure in Low 1 and Low 2 for both trans's.. IIRC, the 700r4 does it in L3 as well.. which means firmer, faster shifts, as well as less slipage.....

my old th350 wouldn't chirp the tires going into 2nd while in (d) but if I made a manual 1-2 up shift, it'd bark 'em good...

• 6 months later...

Here is what I used.

Cost a little more, but I wanted something as small as possible. Also like this one because it has adjustable shift set points for each gear. ie, 6300 for 1st, 6400 for 2nd, 6600 for 3rd, and a small digital tach on the side of it.

10022010893.jpg

10022010895.jpg

10022010896.jpg

Here is what I used.

Cost a little more, but I wanted something as small as possible. Also like this one because it has adjustable shift set points for each gear. ie, 6300 for 1st, 6400 for 2nd, 6600 for 3rd, and a small digital tach on the side of it.

10022010893.jpg

10022010895.jpg

10022010896.jpg

Sneaky. man, sneaky.

I have the same unit as Winston. I routed the wire through the edge of the defroster vent and used a small piece of velcro to mount it to the top of the dash. I like it in my field of vision and it works great.

If I was to do my Monte again I would go with something like that but for now I have a "Monster sized" tach on my column...the shift light is all I ever use anyways and that huge face on the tach lights "my face" at night so much so I had to put a switch on it to shut the light off... crazy

I did go something similar to your shift light on my Vette though.

...the shift light is all I ever use anyways and that huge face on the tach lights "my face" at night so much so I had to put a switch on it to shut the light off... crazy

That's one thing I forgot, on this little one you can adjust the brightness to the point of turning it off. I also removed the MSD sticker, so it's less obscene too. I've never used a light before, just the good old factory tach, so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I went K.I.S.S on my shift lite smile

newtachgauges.jpg

DANG Tim, are you idling at 5300 rpm??? No wonder you love shifting above 7000 whistlewhistlewhistlewhistle. Yea, I know, based on your volt and oil gauge the engine isnt running. At least I hope not. - Dave

Actually, I have a legitimate question for Winston or Mike. I am running the stock tach off of a MSD Digital 6 Plus box. Can you just split the connector at the tach output on the box and run both the tack and the light or is it "a one or the other" thing? Thanks - Dave