networking issues

kc8oye

ok.. here's the network setup..

XP is on a WIRED connection to the router

another XP machine, and my Vista Laptop are on the wireless side.

I can connect from my laptop to the wireless XP just fine..

the wired XP ignores me. I can't even ping or tracert it.

the wired XP machine CAN connect to my laptop just fine allthough slow..

how can I figure out if this is the router being stupid, or the XP machine firewalling me? it says the firewall is turned off in the firewall control in the control panel...

my laptop communicates with my XP machine at home ok so I dont' think it's a problem with the laptop.. unless being in different workgroups is a problem. in my linksys router at home, I have it specificlly setup to block windows file and print sharing via the wireless interface.. i can't find anyhting like that in this AT&T router.

It could be the workgroups being different. Have you added your laptop to Leo's network? I have about the same setup here at home with two xp machines a vista machine and two win7 machines all my machine are in the same workgroup being mshome. I would turn the firewall back on, even with it on you will be able to connect to the network as long as the network knows your laptop is allowed on it.

Did you check the wired machines Anti Virus / Security software Tim?

If Norton is throwing up it's own firewall that possibly would explain the one way communication from wired to wireless but not allowing wireless to wired and ICMP. i.e. the Norton allows you to go out but nothing can come back in.

Norton AV (if equipped) can be especially cranky to work with in cases like this.

Just a thought.

ok allan.. kinda what I thought.. but I ran out of time to try it.

i have a file share setup on the laptop, and from his machine I can login and access it fine.. but I can't even ping his machine, let alone connect to it to use the printer share

I've seen this kind of thing with XP Home (one way connectivity). XP Pro handles networked computers much better. You did not say what version of XP you are using.