Drilling gas cap

Ian

So here is the deal, I went with a 70 non vented tank and a 70 vented cap when I put the new one in last year. Have not driven the car much. I remember Steve (Monteman1971) said he drilled a small hole in his, how and where? It is building pressure in the tank with the high pressure fuel injection return style pump. So much that when I stopped to get gas the other day you could see it collapse when I took off the cap.

drill a 1/8" hole right thru the center of the cap.

but it would be better if you could vent the tank so you don't spill fuel out when you launch it.

1/8? Boy that sounds giant to me.

I'd guess .030 would be plenty. The fuel in the tank isn't going to expand so fast that you'd need anything big. I think the vented caps have a one-way valve to let air IN, but not out...but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Come to think of it, I think my old lawn mower has a filler cap with a tiny hole in the center...it's so small you'd hardly notice it. Start tiny and only enlarge it if needed.

The center of the cap is the rivet that holds the handle on. I was afraid to drill there and the handle fall off or start turning... I was thinking towards the top would work.. The center is also where the inward venting is.

My 70 has always had problems with tank pressure. If I take it out on a hot day, I have to make sure that I 'vent' it by taking off the cap each time I shut it down. I can't fill the tank because that will actually cause gas to flow out of the filler. A small hole sounds like a great fix.

Mike