More 502 questions - exhaust!

72 LS5

Well, I can't bolt on rusty headers on a new engine so I'm probably going to take Levanti's advice and get the 2 inch Hoookers.

I can't bolt new headers to a 22 year old exhaust system so I'm considering the Magnaflow. But is 2.5 inch enough or do I need 3 inch? This is basically going to be a 525 hp engine. The car has been lowered slightly, and clearance is important.

What do you guys have??

With my 502 I went with Hooker Competition Headers from Summit, p/n HOK-2455-1HKR. They are ceramic coated, full length headers, with 2" primaries. No clearance issues at all. I did relocate the proportioning valve to avoid heat and clearance issues.

For the exhaust I went with a Pypes 2.5" system with "X" crossover (SGA-11) and either their Violator or Race Pro mufflers. Don't remember which it is, I'd have to go look. The crossover has dumps with plate covers too if you ever wanted to run an open exhaust. www.pypesexhaust.com In the future, I'm going to install some electric cutouts if for no other reason than I can and I like to be annoying on occasion.

Suffice to say, my HP is over 525 and the 2.5" setup works great.

~ Z

Hey Andy -I'm finally using them aluminum heads!!

I'm trying to decide which exhaust system. Flowmaster is over the top with the noise for me - I take the kids to school in this thing like 2 times a week. The magnaflow system is beautiful.....looking into it. Decisions decisions.

I had a set of Flowtech headers on my big block...I had to dimple one pipe so much I thought it wouldn't pass any air....lol. I have the Hookers too, at $375 for the ceramic coated ones they are a bargin. They fit perfect with the proportionating valve relocated and have the 2 inch primaries for plenty of flow....

Steve

3" will also increase the noise level, you may want to stick with 2.5 for noise sake. I have 3" Flowmaster 50 series and it is too loud to be comfortable taking it out every day early in the morning. My neighbors would kill me.

I have the ZZ502 2/Hooker Comp and Torque Tech 3" all the way to the back bumper. It sounds awesome and everyone who hears it says so. I have the 40 series muffler from Flowmaster. There is a clearance issue but only with the Race Ready cutouts. Just got to be careful with the speed bumps and driveways. Best choice in exhaust and I'd do it again. Only one problem with the headers was on the left side we had to grind the header flange to make them get past the lower head bolts.

Hey Andy -I'm finally using them aluminum heads!!

I'm trying to decide which exhaust system. Flowmaster is over the top with the noise for me - I take the kids to school in this thing like 2 times a week. The magnaflow system is beautiful.....looking into it. Decisions decisions.

If you think the flowmaster kit is too loud, you may not like the Magnaflow.. On mine I have a drone around 1800 - 2200 inside the car that drives me nutz

Here is my 402 with the Magnaflow system.

Here is with the old Flowmasters (40 series)

Mikey, you have heard my 71. You call that loud? Come on duder. Do I need to start Bu up so you can hear 3 inch with Race Magnums? Yeah, thats what a 10 second pump gas, tagged, street tire and through the muffler car sounds like.LOl.

Andy

So the Magnaflows drone?

I've heard the Flowmasters drone too. What doesn't drone?

Andy - I don't think I heard your 71 - its been a long time since I was up there, and your monte wasn't there that time.

So the Magnaflows drone?

I've heard the Flowmasters drone too. What doesn't drone?

Andy - I don't think I heard your 71 - its been a long time since I was up there, and your monte wasn't there that time.

Oh he of short term memory loss.LOl. Remember the pretty blue car? You were picking up heads? Ok, fair enough. But the Amercan Thunder comes with a very large set of mufflers that sound very quiet when cruising until you hit the loud pedal. Than you know where your money went to. grin

Andy

Andy - do you keep the blue car at the shop? I think I should stop by and look/listen before doing anything. It's a 3" system?

Yup, the 71 is my shop posterchild for what I do. It has the American Thunder 2.5 inch system with the ceramic coated Flowtech headers. I am on the fence of getting stupid with it but it will be intact for at least two months. Stop by, take it for a ride. Yup, it is reliable enough to let certain people drive it with the promise they will not let her out of their sight.

Andy