flywheels?

bobsmc

im putting a zz4 350 motor im my black 72 monte carlo and i have a question on the flywheels.

the zz4 was in an 86 monte ss and has the smaller 13" flywheel and the 350 i pulled from the 72 has a 14" flywheel.should i switch to the 14" on the zz4 or is that flywheel matched or balanced?

what is the reason for the differences?

im putting the old 350 back in a 66 impala .

thanks

bob

Flexplates for agricultural engines come in three flavors. Stock 400s have thier own externally balanced 14 inch 168 tooth ring. All others can have either a 12.5 inch 153 tooth or a 14 inch 168 tooth, but niether will have the external balanced weight like a 400 will. But to complicate matters even further, Wolfie built a 400SB that is internally balanced.

12.5 inch flexies take the starter with two different length attaching bolts. 14 inch flexies take thre starter with bolts of the same length.

That is all I have to say about that, on my 1201st post.

Gump

ok so i just change to the correct starter for the flexplate thats on that motor i guess.

looks like i buy a new starter for the 12.5

the flexplates dont swap because the center hole in the plates are different sizes.

learn something new everyday.

thanks

bob

And to muddy up my clearness, and Ag engine with a one peice rear main takes a different weighted flexplate as the heavy tab on the back of the crank is missing.

All the Ag engines use only two mounting bolt holes. The small flexy just uses a cross pattern set of mounting holes to bring the starter the 3/4 of inch it takes to get the starter closer.

Andy