MIKEY (72LS5)!!!

Andy's Auto

Just so you know this aint no joke. Here are some pics.

IMG_4529.jpg

For the kids man, the kids. Gots to be environmentally friendy ewith the emphasis on mental.

IMG_4530.jpg

did you know I had red rockers arms? Me neither.

IMG_4531.jpg

More to come. Heads are on cam is in. Just need a few more hours to go vroom vroom.

The cam is a solid Crower .608/.615 cut on 107 center. Duration is 252 and 260 @.050. It should run. Heads are worked like a slave owner Merlin Ovals. Swapping out the RPM Airgap for my proven Victor Jr.

It is on Mikey. Motivate.

I just ordered a new stick and lifters for the Monte yesterday...I wanna play too...... grin

You have a Monte? Where? Oh yeah, that W code thing. It is finally getting some attention. I would love to see Red blast off a few 11.50 passes. Then she can ask for thsat little blue bottle to run with that White Chevelle.

Andy

Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte
I just ordered a new stick and lifters for the Monte yesterday...I wanna play too...... grin

You have a Monte? Where? Oh yeah, that W code thing. It is finally getting some attention. I would love to see Red blast off a few 11.50 passes. Then she can ask for thsat little blue bottle to run with that White Chevelle.

Andy

yeah that's the one...she's been watching old episodes of Pinks to study Rich's arm drop......gonna put a real cam in it and see if I can wake it up for her.... crazy

So here we are, dowm to the short block yesterday. It got ugly today.

IMG_4534.jpg

Merlin Ovals

IMG_4533.jpg

On and torqued

IMG_4535.jpg

Pretty rockers eh?

IMG_4537.jpg

Looking like an engine somewhat

IMG_4538.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic, but the engine is hot. Because it is running.

IMG_4540.jpg

Mikey, Hurry Up!

The good and the bad. Could Victor Jr intake, an inch taller than the RPM. Add the nitrous plate then just throw the hood away. Went to the shop this morning and fired her up. Broke the cam in, changed the oil and hot lashed the valves.

I had a set of Pep Boys junk tires on \some centerlines. The car would blow them up at 70. Back on went the rallies and drag radials.

The car is a trip. It runs as good as the old combo did with a 150 shot. Pulls like a freight train all the way to 6600. Not to bad for a budget build.

The downers beside hood clearance was the AC. The lower ac bracket bolt holes dont line up so I left the compressor off. The new cam likes a lot of timing, like 15 degrees advanced making it tough on the starter. Not sure what carb to ru, but I got Daveys old 502 Holley on it now and it seems to run well. But I am not a vac secondaries kinda guy so I might get on that old Mighty Demon that cam off Bu.

Dave, I might have to change the convertor. It is a little shaky at 800 in gear and it has a Coan 2800 in it now. But that solid lifter cam is screaming for at least 3500.

I should have finished the car yesterday but I forgot to put the shop phone on hold. My guys just kept taking in work so I did not get out until 3pm. We close at 12 on saturday. But someone has to pay for all this.

Car will be at the track Wedsday with an EasyShare taped to the dash.

Just took Hunny Bunny for a ride, she had a blast.

Ondy

very cool Andy-san.....yeah 3500 to get it closer to its happy place. Digital 6 has a 20 degree auto retard, crumbs for thought...Easyshare taped to the dash...very low-tech, you need three little velcro dots too....

crazy

CDavey, we took her out for dinner and a beat tonight. What a blast at 6 degrees. I am very stuck with the 6AL and the ProBillet distrubutor. I have a three step retard box I took off Bu when I put the 7AL Digi in Bu last year. The box worked on Bus old 12.7:1 468 plus I am running moore spray through this guy.

Did a little burnout and did a street launch on the DRs. Not too bad. Maybe ten feet of rubber. The rest was all go.

I plan on grabbing Allan and Mike from Boca for a Wedsnesday night TNT.

To jinx myself I will guess 10.55 @ 132 on spray with no slower than 11.50 @118 on engine. We will see. I still have that TCI TH350 in the car. I have a done TH400 for the 68 Velle but I really want to break the 350 before I go $375 in the hole for another custom driveshaft.

Ol 68 might just keep its fair running 402 for awhile. These parts aint cheap and Tax season is right aroiund the corner. Nothing says "broke" like a fat check to the Federalies.

Dave, Weds is the day. That old 850 Holley of your really liked the powervalve and jet changes today. Now to do it all over again with your old convertor.

Ondy

should be fun ol' tall one. You'll be just like the Geico piggy going wee wee wee to the stripe (don't forget your twirlers). I can't try the gas until they come up with a 12 step or I get divorced, addictive for sure.... crazy..tell Alan to leave his gun in his car, it's family night... grin

should be fun ol' tall one. You'll be just like the Geico piggy going wee wee wee to the stripe (don't forget your twirlers). I can't try the gas until they come up with a 12 step or I get divorced, addictive for sure.... crazy..tell Alan to leave his gun in his car, it's family night... grin

Oh Davey, we Floridians do not carry weapons in our cars, we carrry them on us. laugh In Florida if you can prove you are not a pedophile, drug addict, or a felon, you can get a license to protect you, your family, and others from peril. And you can bring your weapoon to the track. Just not a dog or a glass bottle. Or an ATV if it does not have your car number on it.

Davey, the gas is just not for you. You have to design it into the build. Not that Mr.502 can't handle it, but your cam choice is #1 part of the design process. Nothing worse than spinning your engine backwards at 6500 rpm.

It has been so nice here lately. It is 64 degrees right now. Time to put the turtles to bed and have some fun.

Andy

no Miss Velle would not like spray as she sits, I've seen too many knuckleheads do that and then wonder why they can't keep oil in the pan. Besides I don't think it could handle one more electrical device like a solenoid.

You can't let folks carry here in the trailer park, too many pissed off seniors. Can't wait to see what numbers you get...should be 2 tons of fun.... cool

Dear Andy,

I missed the post where you checked the piston to valve clearance when you put the cam in...I bet you did check it.

The Wolf

PS. Everyone has a FL permit to carry. I don't even live close to Florida and I have one...anyone with a finger print card and a picture gets one from the Florida Farmers Bureau.

Dear Andy,

I missed the post where you checked the piston to valve clearance when you put the cam in...I bet you did check it.

The Wolf

PS. Everyone has a FL permit to carry. I don't even live close to Florida and I have one...anyone with a finger print card and a picture gets one from the Florida Farmers Bureau.

Wolfie, I actually forgot to take pics of the actual cam swap per se. Something about standing in one spot getting it done. and greasing up my SLR. And I skipped the actual check of clearences. I figure it would either run or bend. It ran. And I have built that engine a few times for paying customers with more cam than that. I did not degree the cam either.

Once again like fish to Aquaman, people like me. Was unbelievably busy yesterday. The 71 is in the air and that bright red Hughs 3500 is sitting on the lift waiting on me to show up at 5:30 so I can drive it off at 8am. Nothing major. Just a new convertor, starter and a new flexy. A few months back I let my daughter take it to school and somehow she managed to break two teeth off the flexplate. I got it running and mig welded some new teeth on. But the trans is coming out so let us pop a new one in. Plus I need to throw a trans blanky on for good measure.

We have a Farem Bureau? No kidding. I just like the culture shock from Davey. Turns out handguns cause cancer in rats in the state of California.

everyone in California knows beer leads to herion. Cancer and handguns is a no brainer...speaking of no brainer...the elite "have you hugged your Prius today" crowd is trying to save me from myself. Timothy Leary is not dead...he's licking stamps in Sacramento and advising the Terminator how to link cancer to lowerinig the tax rates....

Just so I'm clear, this is a 454 or a 402? They all look the same to me, so big and heavy and cumbersome.

Wolifinator, it is a biggie that got a little bigger. All forged 454 4 bolt stroked with love. A 4.25 Eagle crank with a 6.385 forged Eagle rod. A decent set of Weisco .60 over forged slugs with 10.65:1 compression. I call it a 496 but mathmatecially a 495.22 CID. It is just like an agricultural 4 valve cover bolted engine, just bigger. Generally known to make more overall power with less exotic hardware. They can be more money to build up front, but they never have to spin 7500 rpm to make the number. You can find them in quality medium duty trucks, swampo buggies, fast boats as well as really fast street cars.

You have been schooled.

Ondy

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Modifiers Section on the board????

I've done all my lurking in the Engine and General Sections!

Andy - sorry Dude, just now saw this post! Now I know what makes that 496 tick. With duration in the 250 degree range, how's them brakes? Sounds like you may need to step up a header size too. With 10.65 compression, do you need to run octane boost?