Is there a difference?

BigBlock4Speed70

I saw the other day (somewhere on here, but I can't find it) that there is a difference in the factory holes cut in the floor for a 4 speed and an auto on the floor... Is that true? And if it is, what's the difference?

My car has a 4 speed in it, and I know it was originally a console car. The hole in the floor is factory. It's about 2- 2 1/2 inches wide and about 6-7 inches long. Was wondering if I could tell if the car was originally a 4 speed by the hole in the floor. Thanks...

BIG difference.. the 4 on the floor has an extra hump welded on and a LARGE hole.

a floor shift auto just has a small hole about 2" in diameter that the cable and grommet go into.

that's definately a 4spd hole. but a pic would be a lot better to say for sure.

The hump is also different for a 4 speed without a console. That hump is very "square" as opposed to the rectangular hole with a console.

That shifter boot hold down flange is exactly like mine except the stock version is painted black. I replaced the rubber shifter boot a couple months ago and I am certain that flange is the same shape and size.

My '70 is a factory 4-speed with console but I don't know if the floor cutout is the same for all console cars.