Roof Insulation

willie

Does anyone know where i can get the insulation or sound deadner that sticks to the roof? Also the insulation that goes above the headliner? I dont see it in any of my books. I do see the Fatmat but not sure if thats for the roof or just for the floors and doors.

Thanks for the help

Willie

Willie, both my 70 and 71 have the full FattMatt treatment to the roofs. Add to that a vinyl top and you get a really quiet car in the rain. The biggest PITA is getting al;l the old stuff off. It seems the hanging stuff does just that, it hangs, but the stuff still attached can be a bit of trouble to take off.

Andy

So you guys are saying to use the FatMat under the roof also? I am not only looking to keep the noise out but i am looking to keep the heat out. Yes it will have the vinyl top also.

Andy you are right was a PITA but i used a small, stiff putty knife and got it all off.

Thanks Guys

I start worrying about moisture with a product that doesn't breathe. When the roof panel gets cold, moisture from inside the car (or in the air) condenses on the underside of the steel roof. A solid sheet of plastic or foil will keep it trapped there, unable to dry out. Maybe you could paint the underside with a good rust proof paint, but the thought that my insulation might be trapping moisture against the roof is worrysome to me.

As usual, I might be just over-thinking the issue. nutz

i think you are overthinking it again mark.

since the fatmat is glued directly to the steel, I don't think there is much chance of moisture getting in there to begin with.