No sound

70 Iron

Hi guys

I have a Dell desktop about 10 yrs old. I can't get any sound from the dual spkrs . It was working a day or so ago.They do light up showing it has power to them .I tried to play one of the vidieos today but no sound. I traced all the connections and they are fine I also checked the icon at the bottom right to see if it was muted but it was on.Any ideas on what else to look for? Thanks

Terry

No Bob ,I haven't used any of those for awhile.

I really don't know just when it quit working but it was in the last couple of days.

I had to download a newer version of my anti virus yesterday but I don't see how that would of stopped the sound.I haven't messed with anything else.

I may have to call my local pc man on monday .

Thanks

Terry

Terry,

You might also want to ensure the Windows Audio services is not shut down.

To check this:

Click Start > Run and type services.msc

A window will open, in the services pane, scroll down until you see "Windows Audio" if it is stopped click on "start the service". If it fails to start you may have some sort of .dll or other registry corruption causing the issue.

Tim,I tried new speakers this morning but still nothing.

It must be internally so I'll call the repair shop tomorrow and see what he can do .Thanks guys for your advice

Terry

UPDATE !! I just rebooted the puter and bingo "I HAVE SOUND "

Things are fine again Why would this cause it to work ?

I'm far from the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to this :-).

Terry

I'll try to remember that Tim :-).

It seemed about the time I had to download a newer version of my anti virus when the problem started.It usually tells me that I had to restart the puter.The only time the pc is off is when we loose power ,I just allow it to run.

That is why I am running Ubuntu Linux on most of my computers now. No chance of viruses and it works great for everyday computing. I have not booted Windows in over 2 months now smile I still have Windows installed, but have not found a need for it in a while.

Ian ,what do you know about Clamwin Free Anti Virus ?

I was with Macfee once and Norton Then when I had my pc in the shop they got rid of norton and installed this ClamWin free AV.

I had this for about 2 mo and the other day was the first time they wanted to install a newer verison.It has auto updates daily.

Terry

ditto on what Allan said. I just helped a buddy roll out the MS AV to all the Windows PC's at his office. To be honest I have never had a virus on any of my personal PC's. I do not open emails from people I don't know and almost never open attachments unless I am expecting them..

Thanks Allan and Ian,I have taken your opinions very seriously and have already removed Clam and installed Microsoft Essentials.

It was very simple to install even for this dummy.

I already had part of the protection with micro and only needed the AV.I now have the little green house at the bottom showing that I am protected :-).

Terry

Allan,Just wanted to let you know that i finally did blunder into Scan Removable Devises.

Another possible problem is My update for Virus and Spyware repeately comes up "Connection Failed"

What is this Definition updates they show.

The error code is 0x80508007.

I did email the problem to M Essential but i likely won't hear anything until after the holiday break.

It shows that my pc is fully protected anyways and also I'm on auto updates

When I check manually for any new updates ,it scans but comes up this connection failed . Any thoughts ? Thanks

Terry

Thanks Allan

I'm at a total loss with other then basic task :-(.

I just tried to run a FULL scan and it scanned for an Hour and 155,758 items and then stopped, Nothing was detected .

It showed a error 0x800106ba.It was only about 1/2 completed.

I've only had this problem since I downloaded Microsoft Essentials .Could it still be the root kit thingy. When you mention BIOS and shopping ,Do you mean like shopping for a new pc ?

I think as long as its showing that its being protected by by them,I may just leave it alone.It shows the green house with a check.This pc is getting alittle old but its not used for much other then FGMCC,E mail and craigslist .Seldom visit others.

Its annoying but i can live with it.

Terry