timing jumping around

John Burns

Hey guys- looking for suggestions... when I'm setting my total the timing is jumping around. For the most part it appears to stay at 36°, but then it'll jump all over the place. I have a MSD 6A, MSD distributor (no vac) and I'm using a Craftsman timing light with a dial. I'm chasing a pinging at the top of 2nd and 3rd and I'm wondering if this is related.

Some Timing lights have a real problem with the MSD's multiple spark system. funny enough, it seems like it's the better quality one that do. Is your MSD distributor a 'ready to run' (it can run w/o the msd box?) if it is, it'd be best to bypass the msd box while you set your timing.. otherwise, you need a less senstive timing light.. I had the same problem before.

i think it's actully that some lights are sensitive enough that they will trigger multiple times on the MSD's multipe sparks... making the timing appear to jump around. I found with some lights I could just ignore the timing moving around and work on the most extreme reading I was getting..

Originally Posted By: Andy's Auto
Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte
my $738 light has no issues....

Yeah, you might be taking this hobby just a little too serious....

ditto

it was....uh....you know......a joke!!! crazy

• 3 weeks later...

Update... ah ha- not the timing light! I pulled the distributor today and found the "stop bushing" had fallen out. I have an old MSD 8461 (they made them from GM cores I think) and the bushing hangs on a peg retained by a c-clip.

Anyway... put the bushing back in and the timing was rock solid. Now to undo all of the little tweaks I did trying to correct this issue- of course it is raining and will be in the teens tomorrow!