network issues

kc8oye

how can I test if a port is open through a firewall or not?

for some reason, I'm having all kinds of crazy issues with DNS requests coming back as 'timed out'

DHCP from the router provides the routers local i.p address (192.168.1.254) as the primary and secondary DNS

I tried forcing windows to use google's free dns servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and it still refused to let me do a DNS lookup, butI can ping 8.8.8.8 just fine...

i know "/?" isn't a valid addy, but it shows the error I was getting (things are working right now)

Quote:

C:\DOCUME~1\ASHLEY>nslookup /?

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.254: Timed out

*** Default servers are not available

Server: UnKnown

Address: 192.168.1.254

Quote:

C:\DOCUME~1\ASHLEY>ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=47

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=74ms TTL=54

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=204ms TTL=54

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=534ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 58ms, Maximum = 534ms, Average = 217ms

how can I find out of the 'dns port' is open to the outside world for me? i don't have access to the router..

I'm using XP pro sp3

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Port testing website

Try that site. Type in whatever port you want to test. You may have to get in touch with your ISP and ask what DNS address you should be using just in case.

It would be easier to diagnose if you could get into your router.

yeah i eventually figured that telnet thing out.. thanks allen.

next time it starts being stupid I'll check that out..

it's so wierd.. like right now, the internet is just flying.. everything is working ok.. it has the occasional hiccup, but a quick refresh corrects it. then there are times where there ain't NOTHIN goin thru that router.

and it's not any specific time so I think that router just has issues. seems like all of these "2wire" brand routers do.

My linksys router never acted like this.

try this one on for size guys...

I had no connectivity with the router.. I couldnt' even ping the gateway IP.. so just for grins and giggles.. I went into the tcp/ip config and forced a static ip that was outside the router's DHCP range.. and suddenly.. BAM.. everything screams.

i forced a static DNS server ip of the router for now and suddenly its all hunky dorey.. it's like the router doesn't want to recognize my ip for some reason when I get it by dhcp!?

This is what was going on earlier... ping with 10 packets, I set the time out to 30,000ms (30 seconds)

C:\DOCUME~1\ASHLEY>ping -n 10 -w 30000 192.168.1.254

Pinging 192.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=2807ms TTL=255

Request timed out.

Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=13069ms TTL=255

Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=764ms TTL=255

Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=1882ms TTL=255

Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=255

Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=10972ms TTL=255

Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=115ms TTL=255

Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=4365ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.254:

Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 8, Lost = 2 (20% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 13069ms, Average = 4249ms

i know that. Wish I had some control over the router.

it's an all-in-one DSL Modem / wireless router.

it's back to acting up tonight even with the static IP.

tomorrow I'm gonna break out the 100 ft ethernet cable and plug directly into the router and take the wireless side out of the equation and see what happens.

if it works ok by ethernet, I might buy my own WAP and connect it to the router's ethernet and have my own wireless.

Is it possible there is a problem with my wireless link causing this? I know I don't the greatest signal.. I'm using a NetGear RangeMax it only does 802.11g.. I'm wondering if I would do better with an b or an N ?

mike.. it's not my router so I don't have access to it.

the admin password has been changed from the 2wire default of '2wire'

and for some reason, it appears that my computer is the only one being affected.. my cousin who owns the router says her laptop works just fine.. so I'm looking at my wifi adapter.

Would be practical to buy a WAP and plug it into my ethernet port so I'm not wasting a PCI slot with the wireless adapter? (cabled connection is not feasible here)

i've been considering that mike..

I'm using a NetGear WN311B 'range max' pci adapter that has an external antenna

there are two walls between me and the router. (I'm in a studio apartment on the back of the garage)

what I can't figure out is why it goes like gangbusters most of the time.. the just suddenly the router won't even answer it's pings.

i have physical access to the router, i've tried resetting it but that doesn't do any good.

windows reports my signal strength as good.. netgear's little app shows me I'm usually about 1/2 scale on the signal. It varries anywhere from 24mb/s on up.. tonight it actully dropped to 11.. but i still can't understand 20 second ping times between me and the router!!!

I had a problem with my router when I first got it where it would constantly overheat. I would have to reset the router about 3 times a day. Hope thats not the problem.

Not to familiar with the combo router/modem. I've had issues with family who used them where they couldnt get some devices to connect. They ended up replacing the unit with a newer one and it fixed their problem. So strange.

well that's why I'm wondering about maybe buying a WAP, connecting to the router's ethernet port and going that way.. I don't understand why it's just me tho.. I just updated the drivers for my adapter.. guess we'll see what happens.. i might pick up a cheap usb wifi device too and 'just see'. .maybe this adapter has issues I don't know.

i know I'm fed up with it!

I had a problem with my router when I first got it where it would constantly overheat. I would have to reset the router about 3 times a day. Hope thats not the problem.

I have this issue. Everything works great, except I can't print without first "rebooting" the router. Once the router has been dumped and restarted, it sends to the printer all day without problems. It's just a pain to unplug and go through the restart process every time I want to print. (seems like every time).

I pulled apart my router and added a nice big case fan to it, but it made no difference.

Originally Posted By: amsterdam84

I have this issue. Everything works great, except I can't print without first "rebooting" the router. Once the router has been dumped and restarted, it sends to the printer all day without problems. It's just a pain to unplug and go through the restart process every time I want to print. (seems like every time).

I pulled apart my router and added a nice big case fan to it, but it made no difference.

Ironically the way I fixed my overheating issue was to replace the stock firmware with an aftermarket interface by dd-wrt. After that it runs beautifully. Also unlocks a lot more options. Great software. Most likely would not support Tim's hardware though so no help there. Sorry buddy.

Tim on my Verizon router if you hold down the reset button long enough it resets everything, including the admin password... Just a thought.

I do think Allan is right about the channel though. Channel 1 could be getting interference from portable phones or neighbors Internet. I would use something between 9 and 11. All because someone won't share. frown good luck.

funny enough it's been working for 3 days now with no issues.. i'm wondering if it is someone around here with a cordless phone or something?!??

the only other thing I did try.. was I moved the antenna slightly

and laid it down horizontally.. the router lays on it side .. and being a licensed ham.. I wondered if the there might be some polarization issues with the signal.. I have noticed that my signal is consistently better.. the little icon is always green... so it's staying above 50% all the time now.. (used to almost always be yellow)

If there are two wireless networks operating with the same SSID will that cause problems?

I just noticed while having problems connecting, that two networks popped up with the same SSID (2Wire113) one was 60% the other was 38%.. I'm wondering if the neighbors are causing my computer to have issues trying to figure which network is which?