I need help identifying parts

jaymz wooden

hey everyone i am in the process of restoring a 1970 monte carlo small block 350. I cant seem to figure out the use of these brackets, my guess is they have something to do with the front end clip or engine compartment area. I will take ANY help i can get please let me know if you know what these parts are thanks.

THESE ARE THE SAME PARTS JUST FLIPPED OVER:

dscn0565n.jpg

dscn0566u.jpg

I believe the two (4) larger brackets are for the bumper. The smaller set I don't recognize.

Bruce

I don't think the bottom 4 are for a 1st gen Monte. If the top 2 are, they are the outer end brackets for the rear bumper, but they don't look quite like I remember them. I can check a spare set of rear brackets that I have tomorrow.

Dan

Pretty sure the pair of smaller brackets on the lower left are the only ones used on a first-generation Monte Carlo. The smaller brackets are used to attach/reinforce the front fender extensions to the core support, and I believe they were only used on the '70.

The brackets on top kinda look like those used for the rear bumper but are way too small - not sure what they (or the remaining two on the lower right) came from.

Yep the ones on the lower left are for 70. They help hold the front fender extensions in place. The ones on the lower right are one of two brackets that hold the front bumper to the frame. You are missing the other two pieces. They form a Y when you put the two together. The top ones I don’t think are for a Monte

Quote:
The smaller brackets are used to attach/reinforce the front fender extensions to the core support, and I believe they were only used on the '70.

Quote:
Yep the ones on the lower left are for 70. They help hold the front fender extensions in place.

I took one of mine off and you guys are right. I thought they were shorter. They bolt to the top of the front fender extensions with one bolt and then that assembly bolts to the core support, as was already posted. The one that you have in the bottom left of your pic is for the driver side.

I also checked the rear bumper brackets that I have for a '70 and they match the 2 top brackets in the picture. They are for the outer ends of the rear bumper on a '70. '71 and '72 are different, at least the ones I have are.

The 2 in the lower right of the pic are not for the front or rear bumpers of our cars. Both bumpers use brackets that have 90 degree bends for the bumper bolts to go through. First gen Monte front brackets have 2 holes for the frame bolts that are in line with each other.

Dan

thanks everyone i will check it out, i already have the two larger brackets for the front bumper (the ones that form a y) so i can rule those out. My rear bumber is already mounted so i dont think they have to do with the rear. I will have to check about the front fender supports those. I really appreciate all the help.

Quote:
My rear bumper is already mounted so i don't think they have to do with the rear.

You either have 2 spare rear brackets or someone mounted the bumper with only the main brackets. The 2 at the top of your pic are to give the ends of the rear bumper some strength and support. The bumper will mount on the car without them. The flat end of the brackets (at the top of the pic) bolts to the outer most hole in the bumper.

Dan