MC SS Seeker has a question.........

jays55

Wow, that's actually a great idea! While I don't like supporting a dishonest practice, that's using it to my advantage.... It would be interesting to see a confirmed false bs next to a legitimate on.

I had an ebay seller (#250753675592) send a copy of his build sheet. It's the most perfect one I've seen...

Here’s my 2 cents.

1) My # 1 choice for sure ,If possible purchase your SS from a current member of FGMCC who has done all the homework. Everybody here is real decent which reduces your chances of getting ripped off. It may cost a little more but worth it in the end.

2) Look at it yourself or by a member from FGMCC

3) This is where I will differ from other opinions. I have used auto inspectors before and had real good success. They drove the car, put it on a hoist, and did like 200 point inspection. I asked them to do the #'s matching thing which they did. I had one inspector kicked off a real reputable dealer’s showroom, because he caught them with some questionable # stamping. You get lots and lots of pictures.

That being said I did have one inspection company who totally ripped me off.

I would not hesitate to use an inspection company but only if they came highly recommended.

Quote:
I had an ebay seller (#250753675592) send a copy of his build sheet. It's the most perfect one I've seen...

He sent me the same information. I haven't studied it closely, but nothing really jumps out at me. I think there's a good chance it's an original sheet. Some are in much better shape than others. It just depends on what part of the car the sheet was hidden in. I have real nice one that was found inside the back rest of the bucket seat. Too bad it's for a car built just before mine was. frown

If I were looking for another SS454 I'd ask for a good pic of the cowl tag. There's information there that's included on the build sheet, and a guy that's making a false sheet may not know that. There's some good information here. Try this link too.

The codes used vary alot depending on where the car was built, when, and obviously, the options the car had. These things dictate which codes were in the boxes and that can make it pretty confusing. For instance, there are numerous wiring harness codes for different motors, transmissions, console or not, tach and gauges or not, AC or not, etc. If there's an "expert" out there for Chevrolet build sheets, he's likely to be a Corvette, Camaro, or Chevelle guy. You can try those websites and probably get great information. I know there's a Chevelle guy that's very knowledgeable with build sheets and I think he guards some of the info. he has, probably in an effort to make it harder for guys to create fake build sheets. Maybe he would work one on one with a potential buyer, but he doesn't post everything he has on the internet.

Dan

I think it's very interesting that Canadian SS Montes had the Z20 stamped on the cowl tag. What were the production figures for Canadian SSs? Maybe I should look more to the great white north :-) Honestly, I feel very comfortable identifying legit cars and have avoided being cheated in the past. Really just glad to know that some of the games being played with Chevelles and Corvettes are not common with the SS Montes. Building a clone or tribute car and selling it as such is fine. Trying to pass it off a legit is crap. Rule of thumb is always "buyer beware"!