question about converting auto too manual

V8Freak

hey guys, im just wondering if there is any kind of bracket that mounts off too the side of the tunnel for the gear shifter or does it come right through the top of the tunnel? i have a console that will be going in it so im thinking it looks like it will go through the centre but i have seen cars the other way too

No bracket that I know of for the shifter on the tunnel (on the crossmember yes)... There is a 'tranny hump' that you need to weld to the tunnel if you go for the original shifter location & original console:

RST-72D.jpg

What manual transmission do you have in mind?

Not an expert in panel bonding, but it gets pretty warm down there. Not sure how much temperature panel bonding can take...

well the two ways im thinking of going is either a 4spd or maybe a 5spd out of a late 80's camaro I heard its a pretty simple replacement for the 4spd, where can i get one of those?

another qustion is i have a centre console in my other 70 that im going too use, its an auto console can you just change the centre peace where the horse shoe shifter comes out so it can accomodate a manual?

the part im trying too figure out also is if the gear shifter on a 4 spd is in the same spot as a 5 spd

Try this link. It has all the dimensions for the transmission.

I/e length from Bellhousing to tailshaft, and then all the shifter positions and measurements.

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/5_speed.html

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/consoleinsert.html (picture of an "A" body floor console)

Kevin

No bracket that I know of for the shifter on the tunnel (on the crossmember yes)... There is a 'tranny hump' that you need to weld to the tunnel if you go for the original shifter location & original console:

RST-72D.jpg

What manual transmission do you have in mind?

I decided to pass on welding my 68 tunnel in. Instead I used 3/4 Tek screws and just seam sealed it. Just got lazy and did not want to take the whole insides out. I just pulled the drivers seat and rolled up the rug.

Very easy conversion if you go with a Hurst shifter. If you go Muncie, that bracket for the crossmember needs welded on and the right trans mount secured.

I really should have tookm pics, but I was short on time.

Andy

well i really dont know what i should do, im looking at opgi.com and theres a Z bar kit, the tunnel hub, a boot, a dust shield and a trim piece that holds the boot, Im ordering these and many other parts at once from them but i dont want too order anything I may not need if i go 5spd, im using the original center console but this tunnel extension for the console seems narrow, would you end up having to hack it up to make the opening wider? also with converting too a spd im still a little hazy if the shifter would even come through the floor in the same location?! lol Its getting a bit confusing im wondering if it would just be easier getting a 4spd

A 5 speed out of a 80s Camaro is likely a T-5. This tranny might be way to weak for a healthy Monte...

Z-bar kit: be aware that the mounting bracket for the Z-bar to the frame is a Monte item only. The Chevelle bracket will NOT fit properly. I have doubts that OPGI would include the correct bracket... As a matter of fact, they show the wrong bracket for Montes, this is the Chevelle bracket:

KR00584-med.jpg

Muscle Cars Only sells the correct bracket:

3972641r.jpg

Part No 3972641R

If you consider a 5 speed, consider a TREMEC TKO. From what i have heard, you can use the stock console, but you will have to make the hole in the tranny tunnel a bit wider... Not sure about T-5 trannies...

My recommendation is to do a little more research.

There are some tranmsissions that rerquire no mods to the tunnel, and they will come thru the correct shifter hole in the floor.

Here is a list of most of the T56's and the torque specs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg-Warner_T-56

This kit claims no mod's required..

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/Chevelle-GTO-Impala-Kit-Select.aspx

Most of the research that I have done has been with an LSX swap included. There is not as much documented info about just swapping a 5 or 6 speed into a car without mods, and that is mostly the tunnel.

Basically what it is going to come down to is a smaller transmission that requires no mods will not back up a high torque motor, but a higher torque transmission will require a tunnel mod, or buying the kit from a place that say "no mods to tunnel required". Viper transmissions are a little smaller and do have a higher torque spec, but I think it will require a mod to the tunnel. Just no way of telling for sure unless you can find somebody who has done it before.

Kevin

ya im working on figuring it out, lol. one minute the cars sitting doing nothing the next its in the body shop, the big blocks getting rebuilt and i gotta build the chassis and try and problem solve all this, shoot me now! cant wait till i can drive it!