Transmission suggestions wanted

vacavillebob

I have a 1970 Monte Carlo with a 350 V8 and a powerglide trans. I would like to change it for a 3 speed automatic with overdrive. Can anyone tell me what transmission would be best to use. And I do not want to ruin the looks of the Monte Carlo so I am not wanting to cut holes in it. I have bucket seats and console now. Also is there a 4 speed automatic with overdrive that would fit.

Any suggestions would be great, thank you Bob

Either a 200R4 or a 700R4 will bolt up and work with the stock console shifter (need to get the kit from shiftworks) You will have to get the driveshaft cut to the right length. The 700R4 has a steeper first gear then the 200R4, but a lower overdrive. I have a 700R4 on the floor waiting to get rebuilt for mine grin

Sorry I hate to sound stupid, but what is the meaning of (steeper first gear) and (lower over drive)

In the transmission like the one in your Monte there are 3 gears that the car uses to go forward...the steeper/higher number the first gear the quicker your car will accelerate. That number is 2.52 in a TH350 and 2.48 in the TH400 which either one came in our cars. In a overdrive transmission like the 700R4 or a 4L60E the first gear will be 3.06 but in another overdrive transmission like the 4L80E your first gear is the same as the TH400 at 2.48

Ian you beat me to it...I typed my answer a while back and was staring at the TV watching "Taxi Driver" and forgot to hit the submit button... crazy

Thank you, That site was good information. I have been online for about 5 hours researching swapping transmissions. Its looking like the 200R4 is pretty much a bolt in job where the 700R4 is cutting drive shafts, balancing driveshafts, moving cross members, changing yokes. So I am leaning towards the 200R4.

Any body have any pros and cons about the swap.

Thanks again, I really love that you guys give such great answers to a beginner.

Its looking like the 200R4 is pretty much a bolt in job where the 700R4 is cutting drive shafts, balancing driveshafts, moving cross members, changing yokes. So I am leaning towards the 200R4.

Any body have any pros and cons about the swap.

I just realized you say there is a powerglide in your car. Better check the length of it as it may not be the same length as the TH350, TH400, and the 200R4. If it has a long shaft it is the same but if it has a short shaft then your existing driveshaft will not work.

Here is a simple chart with what to look for...LINKY

• 1 month later...

If you go with the 700-R4, I would make sure you find one with the police car tail shaft, and not the corvette shaft (you can also swap in a TH350 shaft onto the 700-R4, which would shorten the overall length about 1 1/4"). Also, go with the stronger 28 element sprag version (which is featured in all 700-R4's from 1988 on), and not the earlier 1982 - 1987 26 element sprag 700-R4's which were much weaker and had a higher failure rate. Lastly, think about upgrading the clutch pack, as the 700-R4's are known for their 3-4 clutch pack failure (even on the later models). I hope this helps.

Either tranny will work for you, but there isn't a one tranny that fits all Monte applications. If you are doing the installation work yourself I wish you luck as it as it can and most likely will be a PITA. If you let a shop do it who has experience with these swaps you will just pick up your car and enjoy. That is providing your tranny was built stout enough for your application, your yokes are up to the task, your u-joints are 1350 series, and your torque converter is strong enough and is built right for your application. To many folks have done these swaps on the cheap and have paid for it down the road. It's all up to you. Good luck.