5 Speed Conversion

ripleydale

I've been looking at a few 5 speed conversions and talking to Keisler and Hurst Driveline. Keisler seems to sell the most complete kit and I like the sound of their RS500 that seems to fit our tunnels a lot better than the Tremecs which are apparently more of a top loader Ford and truck transmission. Hurst was telling me the Chevelle and Monte floor pans are different, and the Monte would require more cutting (for a Tremec). He also said the cross member and drive shafts for the Chevelle kit wouldn't work on the Monte. That seems very odd to me, but you have to believe they have some experience here.

Does anyone know if the floor pans or tunnels really are different, or if the driveshaft should work? Anyone tried the same swap? How did it go?

Floor pans are the same. Monte and Chevelle use the same driveshaft (application to application IE BB 4spd to BB 4spd or 350 & th350 to 350 & th350). Monte automatics use a rubber cushion with the crossmember ends but a solid mount Chevelle will fit and work. I'm thinking that the Hurst guy is guessing that the cars are way different, they aren't in this area. That's why we can use stock Chevelle exhaust.

For whatever reason, my TREMEC did fit after some grinding of some unnecessary tabs off the TREMEC casing. No modification to the tranny tunnel was required. The tranny mount sits a 1/4" lower than the auto tranny, so I had to fabricate an adapter bracket, no big deal...

tremec1.JPG

Floor pans are the same. Monte and Chevelle use the same driveshaft (application to application IE BB 4spd to BB 4spd or 350 & th350 to 350 & th350). Monte automatics use a rubber cushion with the crossmember ends but a solid mount Chevelle will fit and work. I'm thinking that the Hurst guy is guessing that the cars are way different, they aren't in this area. That's why we can use stock Chevelle exhaust.

ditto

4 spd montes used a solid mount crossmember too/ same as a chevelle 4 spd crossmember

Thanks guys. Amazes me they will say it fits Skylarks and Lemans, but they don't know a Monte is the same as a Chevelle? How can you not know that?

They mentioned the "torque tab" that Andreas speaks about. They remove it for some of their kits, and tell you about grinding it off yourself.