Drove the car for the first time with new heads

Heckeng

Last night I took the Monte to our car club meeting--the first time the car has been out of the garage in almost 1.5 years. I was very nervous about getting it out, I think just because it has been so long. Id seemed to do alright, no noises, and just a little bit of smell. I am guessing that I was burning off all of the seeped oil and cobwebs from the exhaust etc. I have a little bit of carb tuning to do as it has a little hesitation off idle but seems good otherwise. I didn't open up the secondaries yet as I need to have somebody help me check the throttle cable adjustment. I'll do that this week and change out accelerator pump cams and see if that helps the hesitation.

I'm going to try and borrow my friend's wideband unit and get the carb re-dialed in. I just drove it with a new accelerator pump cam and that helped quite a bit but it still needs some fine tuning. Not sure when the track will come but I would love to get some numbers with the new heads.

Very cool Scott!!!! How about some vids when ya get a chance? That car is going to be a beast when you work out the carb issues. Congrats on getting it going again. That has got to be a great feeling.

David

Dave, so far, it's a mixed bag of feelings. With the hesitation, it really puts a damper on throttle response. The new cam I put in fixed it I think. I took it out again last night for a bit. It was cold so my trans temp never got very warm and the car is always a little sluggish until it gets up to around 150 degrees or so but I still have a little carb tuning to do which is obvious to me. That is the negative. On the POSITIVE side, I got on it in second gear in several spots, and just while driving in second gear and nailing it, it was lighting up the tires which I don't remember it doing before. It also felt a little like the carb may still be getting cleaned out some. I had the bowls off but wonder if there wasn't a little fuel that may have turned to varnish or sludge in the main body passages. I think that will get better with time and driving. I'm not getting any more strange smells either which makes me happy! Not worrying about burning things or oil leaks!

Scott if you have some time this weekend I would just pull the carb off and clean it out. Sitting that long I'm sure some deposits have formed and maybe a little junk got in there as well. If it worked fine when you tore it down then it should work fine now.

I picked up something similar with the Chevelle, hesitation, ratty sounds when on the idle circuts/part throttle, etc. I got a can of Gumout and a can of compressed air. Took the carb down to the main body, blew out all passages, cleaned needle and seat, made sure all openings into the venturi's were clean...you know the drill. Ran it last weekend and it was just like brand new, all of those issues were gone and it was smooth as silk.

Short story nothing you did should affect the carb, an hour on the bench and I'll bet she'll be as good as new, you shouldn't have to change any parts.... wink