454 or mild 350???

fast 44

i have a good running 454 and a good 350 rotating assem. out of my old race motor the 350 is a crankshaft specialties 5140 unit with good 6 inch rods and ross foreged pistons with domes in a big chamber head it would be alittle over 10 to 1 or i can put a cam redo the heads and put an intake on the big block. the car has a 350 in it know and i dont have any big block stuff for it (not that much is deiffernt) there is the cool factor with the 454 but i drive it 70 miles a day and want to get good milage to i have a 700R4 im putting in and it has 3.73 posi out back any advise? i was getting 16 with th350 and the original 350 with a cam good intake and redone heads and stock q jet

depends on the budget. if you have the money and the 454 does not need rebuilding...I woudl go that route. But if you are on a budget...you might sell the 454 to finish out the 350. Great power can be had on a 350...I should be around 400-420 on mine which is a 350 40-over with about 9.5-1 compression. Just my take on it.

budget will only be slightly more on the 454 just because of buying or building exhaust but im concerned with coast to operate ie gas milage i know i should be abel to get 18 or so with 350 and 700r4 how much if any will i sacrifise with the more mild manor 454 on good intake and cam with some headers and 750 vac carb

you guys are missing the boat. i know if we are talking power and tire burning action big block hands down, but im looking at cool factor which da goes to big block vs cost slim margin to small block to hp/money spent kinda maybe eaqual for what im looking at vs gas milage small block vs resale big block

this is what im thinking about like i said i drive the car a fair amout in summer and to and from work is like 70 miles

huh??? If you want gas mileage put in a small block...if you want to go fast for less money put in the big block....cool factor is how you dress either motor.... wink

I don't know if I can buy the fast for less money stuff.....I guess it depends on one's definition of fast. cool

right now you see whats been going through my head for the last 2-3 mounths im leaning to the small block just cause i can do it faster but selling the big block has never been an option so will see even if not right now some day

I think you answered your own question - that 70 mile daily trip will kill you with a big block, unless you ran the 700R4 with like a 2.73 or 3.23 gear (which really isn't too bad with that steep 3.06 first gear). If you were just using the car on weekends for fun, I'd do the 454 - the torque is just a blast.

Converting to a big block would also nickel and dime you to death with costs such as brackets, belts, hoses, maybe front springs, exhaust, etc, etc........

Originally Posted By: CrazyDavey
huh??? If you want gas mileage put in a small block...if you want to go fast for less money put in the big block....cool factor is how you dress either motor.... wink

I don't know if I can buy the fast for less money stuff.....I guess it depends on one's definition of fast. cool

a stock 10 to 1 454 verses a stock 10 to 1 350....fast is the one that gets there first...the 454.... wink

yeah i gess your right, man having this big block in the corner is killing me!!!o well practicality wins agin what good is a bbc in a monte if you cant aford to drive it

Originally Posted By: Mikstudie
Originally Posted By: Sam (Bones)
no replacement for displacement whistle

So true, and with a big block you'll be doing alot of replacement..smile

BB

Zing,Zing,just like the old days Sam,do ya feel the love..lol