Restored my rally wheels

I just finish sanding & painting my rims also & I went with a darker gray wheel paint. New rubber goes on Saturday, I'l send a pic or two..

Sounds like a good project for the spring. My 8x15 vette rallies need to be re-done. I'm seriously thinking of going back to the rallies. The car just looks better with them than the Centerlines. What was the paint color for them and can you buy it at the local parts store??

Sounds like a good project for the spring. My 8x15 vette rallies need to be re-done. I'm seriously thinking of going back to the rallies. The car just looks better with them than the Centerlines. What was the paint color for them and can you buy it at the local parts store??

I got it at AutoZone, a Rustoleum product for wheels, color is a Dark Grey Metallic. I'll have pics tomorrow after the new rubber goes on.......

I just use the silver wheel paint at the local auto parts store. If you want to be factory correct, there are some brands that sell the correct rally wheel colour that you can order from Year One, etc.

Quote:
I just use the silver wheel paint at the local auto parts store.

Yeah, that's where I got the paint when I redid my rallys. I just got a few cans from Canadian Tire (kind of like a Home Depot/Wal-Mart.) You should be able to find something close to the original at an auto parts store like Aaron said.

I sold my rally setup today for $450 and picked up some AZ coded 15x8 yay They are painted black but I still have a unused can of VHT Chevy rally paint so I will be painting them shortly. I have to pick up some more tires, so I will be going with some 255/60/15 BFG's. There is a guy that has two brand new ones for $200. Is that a good price for two of them? I will post pics when I refinish the 8's..... Rodney

I sold my rally setup today for $450 and picked up some AZ coded 15x8 yay They are painted black but I still have a unused can of VHT Chevy rally paint so I will be painting them shortly. I have to pick up some more tires, so I will be going with some 255/60/15 BFG's. There is a guy that has two brand new ones for $200. Is that a good price for two of them? I will post pics when I refinish the 8's..... Rodney

Those will look nice, I just did the same thing but with 245 tires on my 72.

Are those the Vette 8-inch rallys with 4 inch backspacing? If so, be prepared for some rubbing issues with those 255 tires. I had rubbing issues with my 245/60/15 tires I just put on my Vette rallys. You will likely have to bend in the lip on the quarter panels. There are also clearance issues on the front if you have old springs. Your car looks like it sits pretty high so you might be fine. Just a heads-up.

Those will look nice, I just did the same thing but with 245 tires on my 72.

Are those the Vette 8-inch rallys with 4 inch backspacing? If so, be prepared for some rubbing issues with those 255 tires. I had rubbing issues with my 245/60/15 tires I just put on my Vette rallys. You will likely have to bend in the lip on the quarter panels. There are also clearance issues on the front if you have old springs. Your car looks like it sits pretty high so you might be fine. Just a heads-up.

Thanks Aaron. I picked up two 255/60/15 BFGs today for $80. They are very nice with 10/32's tread. Now I've got to find two more.

Thought I'll throw a couple pics of the new setup before I restore them. Finally found two more tires. These were brand new for $190 for both

1305499267.jpg1305499265.jpg

Here are a few pics of one of the wheels. I have a can of the VHT Chevy Rally Wheel Paint left so I will be painting them soon.

1305499271.jpg1305499270.jpg1305499268.jpg

Redid the 15x8s today. They didn't turn out as good as the other set I did, but they'll work.

1306182349.jpg1306182347.jpg

Thought I'll post pictures of the paint that I used as well, just in case someone wanted to know.

1306182346.jpg1306182344.jpg

Nice job on the wheels and also finding the two tires at a discount price... 2beers

Nice! cool

The center caps and trim rings look to be in great shape!

Originally Posted By: 502ci
Nice job on the wheels and also finding the two tires at a discount price... 2beers

Thanks guys. The trim rings does have a few dings in them but I'm gonna try to work them out.

• 4 weeks later...

I painted my rally wheels two weeks ago with Eastwood rally wheel paint but the paint left a rough, powdery finish. Anyone else had this problem? Eastwood sent me another can. I'm wondering if it was bad paint in the can or if anyone else had this problem before I waste another day doing it again with the same results.

I've seen paints that are supposed to go on that way: like cast aluminum colors, but I don't know about that eastwood stuff. often times regular colors can turn out that way if it's too hot outside when you shoot it...

I was going to black black with mine for now and restore them completely stock looking down the road. so at least I know the color now... and that some paints look a bit rough. This has helped me a good bit lol Thanks :P

I painted my rally wheels two weeks ago with Eastwood rally wheel paint but the paint left a rough, powdery finish. Anyone else had this problem? Eastwood sent me another can. I'm wondering if it was bad paint in the can or if anyone else had this problem before I waste another day doing it again with the same results.

I have painted several sets of rims silver and end up with that same result. I think it has something to do with what is in the paint to make it silver.