Melonized Distributor Gear

cudax

Alright, I know this has been covered but I have a question. From previous threads I know that you need a melonized gear on the distributor for a hydraulic roller. However, would there be a different gear requirement for a billet hydraulic roller or is it pretty much the same animal?

Thanks,

Mike

Some cams use a seperate gear that is pressed onto the cam during manufacture, and those don't require a special distributor gear. The idea is that you don't want both gears to be made of the same metal. If you have a cast-iron cam gear, then the stock steel dist gear is fine...if you have a steel cam gear, then you want an iron dist gear.

I believe the bronze distributor gear works with both cam gear types.

The steel roller cams also require a different fuel pump pushrod as well, for the same reason.

Mike.

best bet is to check with the cam maker, the melonized or everwear will not work with some billet or 8260 steel core cam.

the bronze works with everything BUT they wear out fast, i change mine every year.

thanh

Everwear™ Distributor Gears

Everwear™ Distributor Gears

Lunati now offers the Everwear distributor gears for most popular applications. The Everwear distributor gears were developed with a new material that has excellent wear characteristics and uses a special nitride process to case harden the gear. The camshaft industry uses primarily 1050, 5150, 5160, 8620 and 8660 materials for most steel cam cores. Now with Everwear distributor gear there are no longer any issues with compatibility of material as the Everwear distributor gears are compatible with all of these materials.

Thanks everyone! I went with a Bullet custom billet hydraulic roller. Besides the maunfacturer, I like getting opinions here too since we are the ones out there running the stuff. I will give them a call to see what they recommend but I will take these recommendations too to help make my decision. The Everwear gear sounds interesting.

Thanks Again,

Mike

Chris Straub designed my cam, he has Bullet grind them. Mine is a solid roller and I went with the everwear gear on the cam. I don't even think there was an up charge.

Bullet cam here too. Tim will get you on the right track, tell him you want to run the everwear or melonized gear, he will grind your cam on the appropriate metal, should be around $450.00 to do that the last time we had it done.

thanh