Rebuilt TH400 value

ScottNM

I have a chance to buy a TH400 for 475. If this is the real deal is it a good deal? He has given me the name of the tranny shop to verify. What do you think?

Short tail turbo 400 transmission - Chevy bolt pattern - rebuilt - high performance borg warner clutches and stage 1 shift kit. Just had it completely gone through by local, reputable transmission shop to insure this trans is in perfect shape. 0 miles. Includes converter. Perfect for that muscle car restoration. Fits Chevelle, Camaro, as well as many other applications.

The picture shows a yolk in the trans - this is just a standard slip yolk that is in there while the transmission is stored. Yolk not included in sale of transmission.

Price if firm at $475.00. This tranny would cost $900+ for you to build or buy yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
A stock 400 should handle 500 hp with no issues, as long as it was rebuilt correctly.

I have to agree. The Th400 currently in the Cutlass has handled a ton of abuse in 2 different cars and it only has a couple of upgraded parts. That car makes over 800ft lbs of torque.. And it was my first trans rebuild

• 3 weeks later...

Does he have a receipt he can show you? Definitely call the trans shop. I have a th400 done up real good w/ultra bell, reverse manual shift pattern, all heavy duty parts, good hard shifts also a deep heavy cast aluminum pan that cost me just under $1600.00. If you get conformation that trans is fresh than I think it is a good deal.

I called the tranny shop and the owner confirmed the freshness and transgo shift kit with hd cluthces. I have ordered a ATI torque converter to match the motor,gears wheels. Would a 3.08 gear be much different at highway speeds than a 2.73? I am wanting streetability with a little launch available to (: Wanting to think I can have a little cake and eat it to I suppose.