Tall Valve Covers

680HPStroker

So much for the new valve covers going on. I was giving one of them a quick polish job with my Mothers aluminum polish to remove some marks I made when test fitting the cover and for some reason it took the luster right out of the area I tried to polish. These covers were not advertised as having some sort of sealer on them, nor did they look, or feel like they did, but they obviously hhave something on them that I have now removed from one of them. Now they really won't be going on until they are chromed. That is what i really wanted anyway, but was hoping to ride around with them this summer and then have them chromed later. Now I have start looking for a good chromer who won't rape me on the price as the local outfit here wants a pint of blood for the smallest job. Oh the joys of owning a hotrod.

Surprise! ...and you said they came from China? Who woulda guessed?

I have a 12" machinists' vise from China that looked like a quality casting...until I struck it with a hammer and a big chunk of bondo fell off!

You all crack me up, but it's true about the Chinese crap. It's better than ever, but still isn't, nor will it ever be as good as American. Seeing how the finish is the only issue as the castings are nice and thick the chroming will take care of the finish problem. I start my chromer search this morning.

... Chinese crap. It's better than ever..

That's a great tag line for their advertising.

Here's a shot of one of their "ultra lite" transmission pans...obviously this trans has internal problems as well.

3896147154_d3f7924b96.jpg

• 4 months later...

hi dave, i just bought the tall valve covers from eddie marine and i didnt have them drill the holes for pvc and the air breather ( i should have), i can find a machine shop to do the drilling but what about the small raised alum around the drilled whole that is on my current covers are they nesscessary for a good seal with the rubber gaskets,also should both covers have an air breather or is one ok. i have heard that you should have two one on each cover (i dont no if that is true or not) i guess im not sure what to do after i got these and i just want a good seal so oil wont leak around the whole that gets drilled, thanks for your info rick

Rick I not running a PCV so I just have breathers. After you have the hole(s) drilled you will need a baffled grommet. I used the ones for use with a breather but they should have on for a PCV as well. I would get the grommets first so shoever is drilling the holes can size them correctly. I have no trouble with them sealing using a reusable gasket....Dave