Power Steering Pump Issue

colonel

I am installing a March Pulley Kit #21285 which moves the PS pump up in front of the D/S cylinder head. Go here and see step 8 for a picture of my issue.

http://www.marchperf.com/instructions/Ch...instrctions.pdf

This position doesn't leave much room to connect the power steering lines. While March supplies a barbed 90 for the return they don't supply a fitting for the pressure line and the original won't fit as there is only about 1.5 inches between the pump and head.

I have called the tech line twice. The first guy didn't have any info to help other than a # for "Dan" in Arizona that has a fitting for this system but Dan doesn't return calls. The second guy at March said to use a banjo fitting, like for a fuel line, but I can't find any fittings that connect to a 3/8 inverted flare and they also need a machined surface to seal up to and surrounding area of the fitting on the back of the pump is far from a machined surface and likely won't seal.

I have searched for a 3/8 inverted flare 90 that is tighter than 1.5 inches but haven't found anything yet so I need some input from y'all as I have been messing with this for 2 weeks now and can't use it if I can't connect it.

What-up? Kevin.. it looks like they're using a Saginaw PS pump in that kit.. right? I may be wrong, but maybe you may have to redesign the power steering hose. Yet 1.5" between the pump and head does not leave much space. It would seem that "march" techs would have an answer for your problem, though at times they could care less. Have you tried Russel or Earl's for the fitting? Having an IFM fitting on the end of that hose is tricky but not impossible, the clearance is another issue. Though a good hydraulic shop may have an answer. How about Danchuck

Hey Kevin, where in Edmonton are you.?? I am in Airdrie and use a company called Green Line in Calgary (3 locations) and there should be ones in Edmonton. They custom make 'T's" 90's and all tranny and PS lines to conform to any fit,sometimes they look really weird and you would wonder what application they would fit but they obviously work...Give them a try as I have had success with them lots with no problems and prices are reasonable....

Darren.

Thanks for the responses.

Rod........Don't know what an IFM fitting is but it is a Saginaw pump just in a fancy billet housing.

Darren....Yes I know of green line but always thought of them as big hoses and such. We have one location on the south side which I can check on Monday. I have a local hydraulic shop to check as well after talking with them during the week it seems they may have something to help me out but they aren't open weekends.

Mike......I looked at that kit you have but needed a stronger alternator to keep up with all the electronics I have in the car now and really liked that billet look so I splurged a bit and went for the kit I am dealing with now partly because it gets the alt and ps up in the event I decide to try and turbo my car some day.

How does that hyrdo-boost work on your car. I wish I had gone with that instead of the dual 9 inch booster I have.

I found in my travels today that the usual Russel or Earl's fittings exist to make the connection just not in the space I have. The adapters for the pump to an AN fitting have to be combined with an elbow rather than coming in an elbow already.

The banjo fitting idea doesn't seem possible as the bolts that tighten the fitting aren't the correct 5/8 x 18 thread and aren't made with an inverted flare end even though I do think the surface on the pump is smooth enough to seal to after a closer look at the pump connection area.

I will update more after Monday's travels. If all else fails I can always get a machine shop to make me an inverted flare end and then tap the opposite end for pipe thread which will allow me to then put an existing brass 90 degree flare fitting into that, but cost may be a tad out of line with my wallet.

Rod........Don't know what an IFM fitting is but it is a Saginaw pump just in a fancy billet housing.

"Inverted Flare Male" or IFF Female..look trough Eaton Eaton -- pdf pg.79 p#1SA6MFB6 is that enough room? You can use a hose clamp with that fitting? Just an idea?

Never was good at acronym's.

That is the right idea but the key dimension from the face of the flare to the middle of the tubing after the 90 is 1.73 inches and I need about 1.5 to the outside of the tubing to clear the head.

I am wondering if it is possible to get a much shorter 90 in tubing so I may need an IFM to IFF or AN fitting in a 90. The only problem with that though is that once it seats against the flare you have to deal with the other end no matter which way it is pointing.

I was thinking of a pre-bent piece if you will..but the "Tubing Minimum Bend Radius" is key here.. even with stainless you're pushing the envelope with a tight bend(3/8 tube is pretty darn close 1.75) that's not to say it can't be conquered, in a quality bend, the metal tubing is smooth throughout the bend with no crinkling on the inside or excessive thinning or collapsing on the outside. I'm thinking your best bet would probably be a formed piece. Or a formed hose.. Look at the pre-formed fitting here.. look at the radius.. doesn't quite look uniformed and that's soft brass..

11605_4351_large.jpg

Even if you used a fitting like: 16943-6-6 dim "E" 1.69.. I guess other than the radius, you have to consider enough room for the nut to be backed off.. and most importantly keeping the nut 90° to the surface, I guess for sealing properties. The mating surface is essential, good luck on your quest.."March" should have an answer for your pickle, I can't believe you're the first with this issue.

16943%20D.gif

16943%20Data.gif

Well no good results from checking the hydraulic shops. They seem to give up when they find out it is automotive related and stop looking for any alternatives.

I did make progress with March though and got a company name and number that produces the correctly threaded bolt and banjo fitting for this application and even make a complete braided line kit as well. I find it rather odd that it took 3 calls to get what I needed but the companies name is Gotta Show Products (602-237-4506) and the hose kit is part # 131151. If you want the individual pieces the bolt is 131362 and the banjo fitting is 131262. It is a specially built piece with the 5/8 - 18 ( or 16mm x 1.5 mm) thread size. Silly thing is March sells this kit themselves for less than Gotta Show but sent me to them instead of offering me this solution on the first call making for a happier customer and my kit would have been here by now. Goofy!

It looks like this problem is solved. It will just take a couple weeks to get the kit in as the places that are close to me don't have stock on it and those that have it are 20% more but far away which makes for added shipping costs so I have to decide if $40-$50 extra is worth saving a week.

At any rate, your comments and help is very much appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin

Good thing you got favorable results, somehow I knew they had a kit. That tight installation didn't go into production without a hitch, the tolerance doesn't leave many options in the way of a solution. The reason for the General's engineers to have placed the pump so low and close to the steering box. The Saginaw pump leaves a little to be desired as it is, with the built-in reservoir and the amount of seals and potential for leaks...the other is the cumbersome angles of some of their hose designs. What up with the billet reservoir is it bulkier and does it hold the same fluid capacity? Another though did they use a popular size serpentine belt? You know where I'm going with this..

Let us know the outcome? Now are you pleased with the kit otherwise? Is there room for improvement in the design, it looks like a fairly simple installation, plus it seems to add to the engine bay bling bling. And as you know we need to see pictures.. lol