Starters & Flexplates question ...

Mike Brichta

I recently purchased a GMPP zz350 engine and have been driving it for a few months now. From the first day I installed it the starter sort of sounded weak to me. It is a brand new GM light weight starter that came with the engine package. The instructions say it can be used with any 152 tooth flexplate which is what I am assuming I have on the engine.

Over the past week or so I have noticed that it keeps sounding weaker every time I start the engine. I have already checked the battery, battery cables, solenoid wire, connections, etc. and all are working perfectly.

My question is: Do I need a special 152-tooth flywheel starter or will any Chevy starter work? I looked on Summit's website and they list the same starter for 152 tooth and 168 tooth flexplates. I just want to double-check before I mess up a new flexplate.

Thanks!!

Mike

Mike its the same starter no matter if its 152 teeth or 168 , the only time it would be a different starter is if its a manual. We have this same issue with our nomad where it won't turn the motor over fast enough to fire, we did all the checks you have done dad is at the point where he wants take the motor apart and double check his timing. What I thing is the problem is the start is engaging the flexplate to deep which is one item we have not looked at as there was no shims installed originally. If you have already looked at that to be an issue I will cross it off my list and let dad tear his motor apart to find the cause.

Hey Bob,

That sounds like something I should check into also since I know that I did not use any shims when installing the starter. The engine turns over fast enough to start but sounds sluggish and not normal. If that doesn't work then maybe I will call my local Chevy dealer and see if they will replace it under the warranty.

Thanks for the reply !!!!

Mike

I asked my brother in-law a retired Chevy power train engineer, he said:

There are 2 flywheels - 153 tooth (12 3/4" dia.) and 168 teeth (14" dia.). Each fly wheel has it's own unique starter assembly. The motor portion of the starter is the same but the nose cone is different to accommodate the different fly wheel diameters.

Also, there are so called high torque and regular motor portions of these same starters. So you can see that there could be potentially four combinations for the Chevy V8 of the Monte Carlo era. (as a side not to quality of aftermarket parts)

He sells a kit to add a 200 4R or THM-350 trans to an older inline six Chevy engine. In the kit is a new flex plate that he purchases and verifies on a test engine, it's quality for out of round and run out. The out of spec rate is over 50%, for the past several years, so he returns lot's of flex plates as defective.

Bruce

Well I tried the original starter on the zz350 engine last night and the starter was not close to engaging the flexplate so I am guessing that the zz350 153 tooth flexplate is smaller in diameter then the original 350 168 tooth one. So for now I will have to put back the "new" starter and think of something else.

Thanks for all of the replies to my posting. As usual you guys are always greatly helpful and appreciated.

Mike