large displacement SBC questions

Heckeng

A question another member had asked about if a size of motor could only be a big block got me thinking.

If we can now make a 454 SBC, which basically has the same dimensions (bore and stroke)as a BB 454, but with an upgraded SB block that can be bored out to the 4.25", wht kind of parts like rods and crank are in the SB that are able to handle RPM and the heavier weight of the larger pistons etc? Also, on most big blocks, intake runners are 280-325 for a street engine, but I've never seen a small block head that was that large, so do the SB 454 engines produce tons of torque but don't flow the high numbers and are therefor hp limited?

Just curious, and I didn't know if anybody out there has done anything with the big small blocks and had experience to share.

I'd be curious to see a good build sheet for a 454 sb

UH,YEAH!

Hows 472 ci of small block! There are heads out there that flow over 400 cfm for small blocks. Thats the same air flow as a set of dart 355 runnered cnc ported heads. Budget dictates power level!

I did some 472 ci deals with the SB splayed valve GMPP heads, pro stock truck head, that can make most big blocks run and hide!!

A 454 inch small block is no big deal. I prefer to use a 4.185" bore and a 4.125" stroke because the head gaskets live way better. A 4.2" bore can then be gone up to on rebuilds and still have good head gasket service life.

Power wise I can get 1300 hp and 860 ftlbs range from the splayed valve 472 without power adders. Its pure race only! Rpm range is 5000 to 9000 rpms. 16.1 compression 2500 cfm of carbs, fabricated sheet aluminum intake etc etc. Cost is around 45 grand!

Its out there if you can afford it! I do have a pet 454 sb combo. It uses nextel cup used sb2.2 heads and makes killer power on pump premium fuel.

Don

I can add to the question: Is there an advantage between the big-block based engines versus small-block based engines? It sounds like money is an issue to build big small-blocks, and I guess there might be a weight difference, but if you build a big-block and a small-block of equal cubes, does one do better than the other?

That's pretty interesting Don, I had no idea there were sb heads out there that could flow that! If I were made of $$$, I think it'd be neat to have a bad [censored] small block with big cubes and 200 less pounds! Plus, it'd be a little more of a sleeper! For now, I'll just have to settle for my puny little big block :rolleyes:

What kinds of rods and cranks do you use with those kinds of engines?

is this the one you are talking about?

it is one of your creations,(children) lol

!cid_000301c65a92$a403b7f0$4149ca0c@your

Yep, thats what I'm talking about.

Wallaby, properly done the big block has to make enough extra power to compensate for the extra weight it brings to the nose of the car.

The engine in the pic Sam put up runs 6.70's at 205 in a 2350# car. All throttle no adders! It may not look it but it's a big small block.

Heckeng, the sb2.2 head deal can be built for about the same cost as a BB if you shop around. The heads sound high $ till you break down what's there. Port work by the best in the business, titanium valves and retainers, jesel rocker system, PSI springs($800 a set).

Don

We did a 434 for my nephew's 86 Monte this spring it has Jegs 215 heads on it and it runs great! We looked at the big block option and when you consider the special headers, new springs hood mods, and all the other changes the 434 made sense. Also most people think it is a 350.