Control arm queston

cbolt

Has anyone had any luck swapping the upper and lower control arms with the rearend housing installed in the vehicle? I am planning on changing both upper and lower control arms along with the bushings and was hoping to leave the brakes alone. (Being lazy I suppose) I purchased the uppers and lowers from PMT along with the bushing installation tool and adjustable braces but will probably install the axles before I receive the control arms and figured if anyone has done that before it would be someone here. Do those bushings pop out pretty easy or not? Thanks in advance...

Easy doing.. you can do everything with the rear-end housing attached. Although the upper bushings on the housing are a bit difficult to drive out. They go in from one direction.. I guess if you buy a tool or make one, to R&R them it would be a breeze. I managed to do them on the car with rear-end in, by cutting the step in the bushing with a sawzall and drove them through in one direction.. forward! If you try to do it from the other direction, it's difficult! Not much clearance to give good whacks with a small sledge hammer, and laying on the floor. grin Oh!! lots of smoke,, when cutting. lol

Now if you have air & the use of a lift..maybe not a lift, but an air hammer, then it would be a cinch. wink

Easy doing.. you can do everything with the rear-end housing attached. Although the upper bushings on the housing are a bit difficult to drive out. They go in from one direction.. I guess if you buy a tool or make one, to R&R them it would be a breeze. I managed to do them on the car with rear-end in, by cutting the step in the bushing with a sawzall and drove them through in one direction.. forward! If you try to do it from the other direction, it's difficult! Not much clearance to give good whacks with a small sledge hammer, and laying on the floor. grin Oh!! lots of smoke,, when cutting. lol

Now if you have air & the use of a lift..maybe not a lift, but an air hammer, then it would be a cinch. grin

sawzall....whacks.....sledge hammer....lots of smoke......air hammer.....obviously Rod knows what he's talking about.... lol

Originally Posted By: Mo's70MCs

Now if you have air & the use of a lift..maybe not a lift, but an air hammer, then it would be a cinch. grin

sawzall....whacks.....sledge hammer....lots of smoke......air hammer.....obviously Rod knows what he's talking about.... lol

I forgot to mention a need for an Oscillating Fan. lol