Fender diff between '70 and others

MikeResko

Hey gang,

I bought an NOS fender off Ebay. It was listed as a 1970 fender, but it isn't. What would it take to make it fit or is it worth it? It's currently in the box, but as far as I can tell right now, the front mounting area is shaped differently where it mounts to the radiator support. Thanks.

The way the fender extension bolts on is different as well. I have not done this but I know these differences can be addressed.

For the area that bolts to the top of the rad support, you will be able to use the rear bolt without issue. The part that's raised for the 71/72 rad support you could simply put in some shims and maybe a longer bolt if necessary.

I'm not sure what mods are needed for the fender extension. I believe there's a pin sticking forward from the fender that is in the incorrect location for a 70 fender extension.

Thanks Canuck. I already put in a new patch on my old fender, but a nice new NOS fender sure would have been nice. Anyone wanna trade a 1971-1972 NOS fender for a 1970 NOS fender?

Thanks for the responses everyone. I don't have an issue using it, but then it wouldn't match the other side. I've thought about fabricating a part to weld to the new fender to match the other side....

I have a Glasstek 4 inch fiberglass hood, so the rubber bumpers are an issue-except I would know they didn't match.

If you have the ability...I've drilled out the spot welds, hammered and dollied the bracket and then spot welded it back together.

The real issue is getting the headlamp sheet metal on. The pin doesn't line up so it will have to be cut off and if I remember correctly the upper corner bolt is not aligned either. After modifying the mount I had welded mine to the fender and eliminated that body line so the mounts didn't matter. If you go that route you can still take the fender on and off, just remember to flip the front fender bracket that's mounted to the rad support so you can bolt and unbolt it.

My 2 cents

Steve