Square Bore Exhaust Ports & Header Help...

TrunkMatt

Need some help... we are having trouble sourcing block-hugger headers that fit the Square Exhaust ports on the Alum Heads of my 383 build:

IMG_20111006_131659.jpg

We've tried about 6 different sets of standard / oval & D shaped... nothing fits quite right... Can't really find SQUARE in the shops here. I am afraid of ordering online as they are hard to return if they don't fit right.

If anyone has any advice to a Block Hugger, ceramic coated header that matches square port aluminum heads on a small bock --- I'd love to hear it.

Ya know... I really don't know where they are sourced from. I want to say they were custom milled in the machine-shop here in Portland (Portland Engine Works).

I'll find out tomorrow. They look like the SSRE / Patriot square heads though -- but the surface is much flatter where the flanges mount.

Well - the Hedman 68863's ended up being a perfect fit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-68863/

Now I just need to source 1 inch locking fasteners from Stage 8... the 3/4 are just a bit on the short side as the flanges on these hedmans are super-thick (really nice).

I am impressed with the Hedman quality...

Wait a minute.. How are those square ports?

HED-68863.jpg

Correct - They are OVAL... after talking to some exhaust shops... if they are not round and not D -- they are OVAL (even if they are square). They actually fit OUTSIDE of the ports which is what I need.... all the other D shaped or Rounds would have cut the corders / and thus leaked / restricted flow.

These, being slightly bigger (taller) allow a smooth unobstructed flow.

Leave it to Matt.. square peg.. round hole..

rofl You know me so well already!!!

Hey -- btw I may be up in your neck of the woods regularly. Potentially starting a new thing with that tech company everyone knows up there.