Car is smoking

george_1970_406

My 1970 406 with around 2000 miles on it smokes. The car starts and does not smoke until it is up to running temp 180. The car barely goes over 180 even in the Hot [you said a naughty!] Missouri summers. I put my hand in the exhaust pipe and there is black buidup. Also after it has not been started for a while a light condensation appears but goes away. Is it running to Rich? Are the rings toast already? Please help! George

I wouldn't worry about the condensation, very normal. You say it smokes but you aren't telling us if it's using oil. How much between quarts? Might want to try a compression test to see if you can determine where you might be losing oil, through the rings or valves guides. The black buildup in the tail pipe could indicate it's running rich.

If it was white smoke it would be oil but black smoke indicates it is running rich. The first thing I would check is the choke. Sounds like it may be partially closed when you are at operating temperatures. Remove the topo of the air cleaner for verification.

George have you checked your trans fluid lately? I've seen trans modulators fail allowing the fluid to be drawn into the intake which in turn dumps the fluid into the motor.

If it's smoking that much can you identify the ordor?