Chevy Aluminum Oval Port heads

72 LS5

could i run that intake with a crab then stwich over to fuel injection? or would it be cheaper in the long run to go away with fuel injection. the rest of my setup is a 700r4 trans with a 2;73 rear. they 700r4 is set up for the 2;73 rear.also is there a thiner gasket on the market so i wont have to get the intake shaved. the first didnt cost me a thing since track auto took care of the problem. im planin on build a 383 tpi motor for a 57 nomad any ideas on a good kit and heads. the motor is a 4 bolt main ive got the tpi top and bottom with injecters got a painless wirin harness and a computer for a 91 vette.

Sam, Nice new avatar!!!! At your CI and rpm the new cam, step up to the next valve size and a bowl port will help. I tried to avoid "bashing" the E heads. They have their place, thats just not on a hi performance engine. Street rods, show cars, want the look of aluminum. It's the designs of the ports that kill them. They are designed for 8.5 to 1 compression low po engines. Sorry guy's it's true! Unless they are the Chapman,Musi or Glidden heads they a stock lo po design head in aluminum. "E" should have stayed out the performance head market till they had a DECENT product to sell. But they have the name and the advertising to make alot of people bite, most don't even notice the bad taste untill they move on later. I just like to see you guy's get the most for your money!

Don

Since we are on the topic of heads, How many of you guy's out there bought a set of world products mowtown lite aluminum heads? If you have them I have a surprise for you! They aren't designed or cast by World, They are Canfields only things world does is final machining! Think I'm nuts look at a 220 lite mowtown and a 220 canfield! Sportsman 2 heads designed in 1983 unchanged basic design now for 23 years! Just like the double hump gm castings when the Sp2 came out!! The new stuff is now farther ahead of the sp'2s than they were of the double humps! A good set of BB castings is light years ahead of the old school stuff. Rectangular ports designed with good velocities in mind. When you combine good velocity with port volumnes large enough to make power you have something! Thats why a head and manifold swap can gain 50/60 hp on a combo! The day's of only oval ports on street 454's is over, proper selection can yeild a package that will run awesome on the street with Rec's.

Don

thanks Don,

maybe I sould consider looking at different heads, by the time I go to bigger valves and seats, the port job, how much more to step-up? well I have some time to think about it :rolleyes: , anybody want to buy some eddy's? lol

Sam fgmcc

Sam, if you do step up give the canfield 310's a serious look they are killer on a combo like you would have with that new cam profile! It would be a whole new monster!!

Don

P.S. tell MR. Horsepower to keep that stogie burn'n!

COOL, I think in the long run it maybe worth it, would I want to stay with te victor jr,only a rec port, what is the cc's of the cans comb cambers?, if you like the avitar you can go to my firstgenmc photo album, page 4, and use it

thanks Sam fgmcc

Man, you guys are killing me :rolleyes: . I just got the "aluminum head" bug OUT of my system. All this talk is not doing me any good at all!

Don, I have a general head question. If my combination runs well now, would it be worth while to swap up to some aluminum heads like the Canfields or AFRs if my cam isn't the most demanding? I'm basing my question on keeping the combo matched versus having a better set of heads than say the cam. My cam is the 502/502 hyd. roller cam which is 224/234 @ 0.050" and .527"/.540" lift. My compression is currently too low for the aluminum heads I think (8.75:1) but I may be changing that in a year or so. Also, I currently have a performer rpm air gap intake, would it be beneficial to move to a victor jr? I normally street drive the car. I drag it occasionally, but not often. The heads I have on it now are the iron GM 325cc that come on the 454HO and have had the ports cleaned up and the intake bowl opened up.

here're the rest of the pertinent specs:

2500rpm converter

TH-350

3.55 gears, 28" tire

750 dp

Curious. . .

Sam, as cast are 119cc. There are cnc options of 113/119/125 as well. If you swap to the Cans then you would need to use a matching manifold. The rec tang port vic jr would be fine.

Don

Heckeng, the 310 canfields would boost the velocity some and offer better flow. I wouldn't make a change unless I were rebuilding so I could boost up the comp to about 10.25 to 1. 8.75 to 1 with an aluminum head won't run as well as an iron head at that compression. If you bumped the comp and swapped heads, went with a better cam you could gain quite a bit. But just a head swap would be a no gainer with your current combo.

Don

Don,

My current static comp is approx 11:1, going to the cans I think my comp would drop about 1 point, when I did the math, when I built this engine, I think it came out to 11.32:1, my current piston .030 over L2349F sealed power , forged, and the block has been surfaced twice, not much deck height, maybe .003 or .004 I don't remember exactly, and the eddy's 110cc chamber, if I could afford it I would go w/ the 113cc to keep as much comp that I could

Sam fgmcc

Sam, the combustion chamber is another poor design area we haven't touched on yet. The "E" heads small poorly designed chamber shrouds the valves just as badly as the old factory small chamber heads did. The 1 point drop to a better chamber won't be as bad as you would think. The breathing increase will more than makeup for the loss.

Don

Don,

have any suggestions for a 350 w/ 10.25 comp,(stock '70 350 300hp), doing a stock restoration on a 4spd w/ 3.31 rear gear, stock heads, carb, everything as close to stock as I can, even exhaust manifolds, pure pleasure vehical, smooth idle, I think you know where I'm going lol but the cam designs of today are way better

Sam fgmcc

Sam, just finished up a 355 with a Vodoo by lunati. Am headed to the dyno tomorrow. This is a very mild street combo. Will let you know how it goes. I talked with Harold Brookshire former owner/cam designer of Ultra-Dyne cams, He was shut down by IRS for back corp income taxes and his comp was sold to bullet cams.He was in some money trouble and paid his employee's wages and their taxes but not his own or the companies. He now designs for Lunati and kept all his UD masters as well! He is very good, one of the few I turn to if I'm stumped!! He has done a few one off deals for me before with excellent results! He thinks I should gain 20/25 hp and 30/35 ftlbs over the competitors stuff. I have done very similar deals with comp before so we'll see!

Don

I have talked with harold in the past. He is awesome and helpful. Can you believe he has never built an engine!!! Monte

Sam, results are in! The 60101 Vodoo made 340 hp at 5000 and 425 ftlbs at 3000. Idled well at 750rpms with 18" of vacuum. Throttle response and idle quality was better than the xe256h comp, vac was +2" on the vodoo. You could barely tell it had a cam at idle, bumped idle to 850 rpms and sounded stock. The vodoo has a slight edge it seems. This was through a set of cast manifolds with a 2.25" dual system with dyno max turbo's. The xe256h made 330 hp at 5000 and 420 ftlbs at 3000 with open headers. There would be about 30hp and 25ftlbs less with the same exh set up.

Don

Monte, I know what you mean about Harold. He's not a mechanic or a racer. "I just have a knack for cam design." He said to me once.

Don

Don,

you think that cam is for me, going w/ everything else stock, this car I dont want to thump or anything, just run nice and smooth, the documentation on this car is excelent and worthy of an original restoration, THANKS AGAIN

Sam fgmcc

Sam, it has a crisper sound than a true stocker. Most people even judges won't catch the diff but it will really wake up that 350 4spd!! It was smooth as silk in the one I just did! Remember there are alot of things I could do to that motor you couldn't see but would really wake it up!! Plus make it more durable. E-mail me back on exactly what you want! I have been doing some F.A.S.T. combo's. Look stock, sound close to stock, but way faster!

Don

Don,

I'll send you another email soon, are you near Indy? I went to lincoln tech there, in '82 & '83, for heavy truck repair, but my heart was always w/ gas engines, mainly chevy big blocks lol

Sam fgmccBB

Hey guys, maybe you should put the 350 stuff under a new topic so the other 350 guys can benefit.

It sounds like good stuff to share...... smile