air cleaner

abe72

To change jets you will need to tear it down. To seal the well plugs you need to tear it down.

Mine has had all that and more. I still have a difficult time starting it after a long period of sitting. Anything over 5 days or so, and I just expect to crank and crank to get her going. I use the logic that at least I know she has oil pressure before it fires up!

Most often, you will find that a simple rebuild and setting of the float adjustment is all it's really going to need. It's pretty rare that I find a Q-jet that really needs more jetting. They are calibrated pretty close from the factory, and it stays that way regardless of what engine it gets bolted to.

"I still have a difficult time starting it after a long period of sitting. Anything over 5 days or so, and I just expect to crank and crank to get her going."

Same story with mine.

If I (or anyone here) would install an electric fuel pump, I would turn the key to the on position, wait a few seconds, set the choke (by pushing the accelerator pedal to the floor) and then it would fire right up.

Bruce

Yea mine does the same thing I was thinking that maybe the fuel pump was bleeding the fuel back through the line but not sure. It starts every time just after sitting for a few days it turns over a lot before starting. I was also thinking that maybe the fuel was evaporating out of the carb but not sure. If anyone finds out let us know please.

Sounds great! Makes me want to flip my lid!

Do it again from a 30 roll, go WOT. I love it.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

thats a nice car I love the 1970 - 1972 monte carlos I like that blue thats the same way I would like mine I have 2000 saved for a 1972 monte. I am only 13 right now bot by the time I have $7500 I bet I will be a year or two older but man do I love classics.I get to work at a hot rod shop during the summer this year so I know a good bit about older cars and would like to know more. But my grand dadys showing me alot well hope I here from you soon.

Jacob stop by the new members section open a new topic and intrduce yourself to everyone. We have a few young members some have cars already and others are still searching. Its great to have young people interested in the first gens its a part of American history. Remember you dont need to buy a creampuff you can build one theres a lot of people here that can and will help you along the way. Heck mine started out as a 4 thousand dollar car and has come pretty far but still has a ways to go. Its a 15-30-picture car. That means looks great at 15 feet or at 30 mph and in pictures. Good luck and welcome to the site.